News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Santa Fe Passenger train

Started by Terry Toenges, January 10, 2020, 07:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

Two Bachmann HO DCC F-7's with sound and seven Athearn passenger cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4SMSKex5A
Feel like a Mogul.

Ken Huck

Terry,

Are those videos of your Christmas Layout ?  Looks like a lot of fun.  I didn't realize you had so
many trains running at the same time and in different directions.  I wish I could've seen the smiles
on everybody's elses faces.  Mine was sure lit up ! !

Thanks.

Ken

Terry Toenges

Yes. The various videos are of the Christmas layout. Everyone loved it, especially the kids. My wife wants me to keep it up. I might do that. I just added the turnouts so now I can run the trains in and out the the three loops. Before, they were just three isolated loops.
Last week, I got out some of my old HO stuff and was playing around with those. I gave away most of the HO stuff but kept a few things.
The Santa Fe outfit is all new to me. When I was kid, I used to see these O27 Santa Fe passenger trains in the Lionel catalogs and think how neat it would be to have one, but they were way out of reach for me or my parents. I just had a cheap freight set and picked up a couple of extra cars along the way.
I saw these warbonnet F-7's on Ebay and started reminiscing. I checked and found a set of warbonnet passenger cars on there, too. I never planned on buying more HO stuff nor did I plan on buying any diesels at all.
I received the cars a few days ago and just got the locos in the mail today.
I figured that, after all these years, I would finally have my Santa Fe passenger train even if it wasn't O27.
Feel like a Mogul.

J3a-614

Quote from: Terry Toenges on January 11, 2020, 01:15:20 AM

The Santa Fe outfit is all new to me. When I was kid, I used to see these O27 Santa Fe passenger trains in the Lionel catalogs and think how neat it would be to have one, but they were way out of reach for me or my parents. I just had a cheap freight set and picked up a couple of extra cars along the way.

I saw these warbonnet F-7's on Ebay and started reminiscing. I checked and found a set of warbonnet passenger cars on there, too. I never planned on buying more HO stuff nor did I plan on buying any diesels at all.

I figured that, after all these years, I would finally have my Santa Fe passenger train even if it wasn't O27.

I had, and still have, a Tyco Santa Fe Warbonnet set with three or four streamlined cars from when I was a kid.

Like you, I got to reminiscing a bit myself a few years back.  While not a Santa Fe fan, and never owning Lionel, the Warbonnets were, and for some still are, an iconic image from Christmas.  

So guess who has rounded up an Athearn A-B-B-A set and a string of Athearn streamlined passenger cars to go with them for Christmas train duty?  (Yeah, what I have for a Christmas layout wouldn't accommodate the whole thing, but when do model railroaders NOT have excess equipment around!!)

And when not using the streamliner, a Bachmann 2-8-0 (New York Central) and a freight look right at home as well!!

Terry Toenges

Yes. There's just something about that warbonnet paint scheme that I always liked. I would guess that when non-railroad people think of passenger trains, that is the vision that most people have because it has been portrayed so often in models, movies, and pictures.
Ask the average person (older than the Amtrak generation) what Southern Pacific looks like or Illinois Central or Wabash and they probably wouldn't have a clue. Say "Santa Fe" and they envision the warbonnet.
When I was a kid, at some point between maybe 8 and 10, I wrote letters to different railroads asking for literature. A couple sent me timetables and a brochure or two. Santa Fe sent me a whole packet of stuff with booklets, brochures, and a half dozen 8 x 10 glossies. I was so pleased with them for sending me all that stuff.
Feel like a Mogul.

RAM

I remember see an old movie where they started out going from LA. to NYC on the Southern Pacific and got to NYC on the Santa Fe.

Trainman203

Yes, those were the glory days with the Santa Fe's now-abandoned Atlantic Coast Extension!😂😂😂😂

J3a-614

Quote from: RAM on January 11, 2020, 12:10:24 PM
I remember see an old movie where they started out going from LA. to NYC on the Southern Pacific and got to NYC on the Santa Fe.

Quote from: Trainman203 on January 11, 2020, 02:32:34 PM
Yes, those were the glory days with the Santa Fe's now-abandoned Atlantic Coast Extension!😂😂😂😂

You might be thinking of the classic "White Christmas," with Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Danny Kaye, and Vera-Ellen, and music by Irving Berlin.  In that one, the stars depart Florida for Vermont.  They leave on the Santa Fe, and wind up in Vermont behind SP Black Widows.

Then there is the original "Narrow Margin."  That one has a fictional version of a Central Pacific going to Chicago with Daylight steam, but the routing from the station names was pure Santa Fe! In spite of all that, it's really a great movie, and I highly recommend it.

Then there was a move called the "Strange Love of Martha Ivers," with Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, Lizabeth Scott, and a very young Kirk Douglas in his screen debut.  Set in Pennsylvania, there is both a Daylight and a Cab Forward in the film!!  (Granted, if you blink, you'll miss both, but they are there in Pa.!!)

The song "Snow," from "White Christmas," with the train racing up the coast of "Florida."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G47k6qSKgPw

The trailer from "Narrow Margin:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZtFTnm8GnY

J3a-614

Here is the whole of "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers."  A Cab Forward appears at 00:15:55, a GS-4 at 00:16:20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHVGP8S984c

Trainman203

I love it when film puts trains where they really aren't from.  Even Ken Burns, who researches everything to the molecule, had a NYC Hudson pulling into New Orleans in the Jazz series.  The country music one showed the Paddington train shed as being in Birmingham AL, and an SP steam engine supposedly running on the SR. There's more I can't think of right now, but will, at two in the morning!😂