News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track Magnet - N Scale

Started by DMJ-Oregon, January 11, 2020, 10:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMJ-Oregon

New to railroading w/Empire Builder set.  Read about installing "magnet" on EZ track, if one was included, otherwise order a magnet.  Do I need a magnet and why?  Thanks for response.

plas man

the magnet (if included in set) is self adhesive to under a piece of track (in desired position) to aid auto uncoupling - to remind you of position on the layout a railroad figure is included with magnet (accessory set from bachmann catalogue No 78998 ) the man is then stuck on the layout next to magnet/track . to uncouple  simply stop the train with coupler next to railroad worker and should uncouple cars ( ??? ;D)
cars couple up automatic on touch .
hope this helps  ;D

DMJ-Oregon

Presume this auto-coupling/uncoupling is with rail cars with the EZ Mate II couplers?  My Empire Builder set came with what I believe are knuckle couplers on all stock and a bag of RAPIDO couplers.  I've since bought a log car and a "sound" steam engine that have the EZ Mate couplers.  Any reason to change couplers?

plas man

DJM-Oregon , you are correct the magnet system is for the later EZ couples also works with other make of magnetic couplers .
The knuckle couplers in the set are the first step up from rapido's - the knuckle coupler will couple to EZ Mk1 & 2 . (but will not uncouple automatic)
(Mk 1 EZ was sprung with plastic wisker - Mk 2 EZ has a small spring on the moving parts of the knuckle )