Tracks catalog with specifications

Started by Liviu, January 13, 2020, 02:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liviu

Hello,

I am new to train modeling and I would like to know where I can find the specifications/dimensions for the Bachmann EZ Track system tracks. For example, for a track N 44852 what is the radius and length, for a turnout N 44863 #4 what do that mean, what are the lengths of the straight and curved parts, what is the radius, how is this different from a #6 turnout or from the N 44862 which has no number, and so on.
I also saw the N 44896 track pack. What are the codes of the items it contains (N numbers), to see how can I plan a layout?
There is some info here, but far from being complete. Is there a catalog or something for this? Of course, it will be better to also include e.g. for turnouts the min/max working voltage, and so on, what else may be useful.

Thank you for your help,
Liviu

jward

44852 IS 12.5"R X 30 degrees.

#4 and #6 refer to the angle of the frog where the rails cross. There is no radius on these switches because of the compound curve.

If you are planning a railroad, you'll find the degrees of the curve to be much more useful than the actual length of the track. But if you actually have to know, length  can be found by this formula:

radius x 2 x 3.14 divided by (360 / number of degrees)

Approximate angles for the #4 and #6 are 15 degrees and 10 degrees respectively.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

In my case, I had to figure out the HO track dimensions by measuring the various pieces that I had. I compiled a list of dimensions of all the pieces. That's not helping you because you have "N" scale.
I got a program called "Anyrail" for designing layouts. They have the dimensions of individual track pieces.
Maybe someone else on here has an "N" scale list.
Feel like a Mogul.

Liviu

Quote from: Terry Toenges on January 13, 2020, 11:07:53 PM
In my case, I had to figure out the HO track dimensions by measuring the various pieces that I had. I compiled a list of dimensions of all the pieces. That's not helping you because you have "N" scale.
I got a program called "Anyrail" for designing layouts. They have the dimensions of individual track pieces.
Maybe someone else on here has an "N" scale list.

Thank you for your answer. I appreciate your work, I am sure it will help a lot of people using the HO scale. I am only surprised that there is no catalog like that, made by Bachmann...
Regards,
Liviu

Liviu

Quote from: jward on January 13, 2020, 03:27:37 PM
44852 IS 12.5"R X 30 degrees.

#4 and #6 refer to the angle of the frog where the rails cross. There is no radius on these switches because of the compound curve.

If you are planning a railroad, you'll find the degrees of the curve to be much more useful than the actual length of the track. But if you actually have to know, length  can be found by this formula:

radius x 2 x 3.14 divided by (360 / number of degrees)

Approximate angles for the #4 and #6 are 15 degrees and 10 degrees respectively.

Thank you for your answer.  That is if you know the degrees... I am only surprised that there is no catalog like that, made by Bachmann... I used to have, long time ago, a train in TT scale (it is true, made by Germans!!). It was much simpler, a turnout for example was like 2 tracks half-size, one straight and one curved, on top of each other. And they had only 5-6 dimensions (lengths) for all tracks (divided by 2 from the previous), only one radius. Much easier to play with... And for this, of course, there was no need for a catalog. But now, considering the complexity and variety of tracks, I am surprised that such a catalog doesn't exist. I don't think that Bachmann doesn't have the specifications I asked for! So they will need only to post them on-line or print them.
Regards,
Liviu

jward

30 degrees is a standard track section in many scales. For EZ track N scale, the full curves are 30 degrees for radii up to and including 15.5"  For radii larger than that, the full section is 15 degrees.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA