News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-9 Oil tender conversion

Started by Larry_Tuck, January 14, 2020, 02:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry_Tuck

I'd like to convert the tender on a 2-6-0 to oil. I could scratchbuild an oil bunker -- I've done it before for HO locomotives -- but thought I'd seek the wisdom of the group first. Any suggestions? Maybe the oil bunker from one of Bachmann's other locos would work?

Ken Clark

Larry

I converted a tender to oil a while back, by drilling holes in the coal load and using a Jeweller's saw cut out the load,
saving the mounting stub. The oil bunker was made up using "LEGO" block's, the corners were rounded and a riveted
styrene wrapper glued to the block. Later the tender was converted to a wood load for the Rotary Snow Plow I built
(X RGS #1) which served on the Kaslo & Slocan Rly.

Ken Clark
   GWN

Larry_Tuck

Thanks for the suggestion. I've built oil bunkers for HO locomotives out of sheet styrene. The last one I did, I used decal rivets -- they're decal film with 3D plastic rivet heads. Apply them just like decal stripes. I don't remember off hand who made them. So that would certainly be an option.

I was hoping someone would chime in and say, "Oh, you should check out so-and-so; they make a cast resin oil bunker that's just the right size." Or something like that.

p51

It's not tough to make a bunker over the top of a coal tender area. I did it with styrene on an old 2-6-0 tender to make a 'water' car out of the thing (with a couple of extra castings from various sources):

-Lee

ksivils

I've made oil bunkers out of styrene and I've also used the oil bunker from the inside frame 4-4-0. That looked the best.

It's not hard either way.

Larry_Tuck

So does anyone out there have a spare 4-4-0 oil tank they'd be willing to part with? There's none available on the Bachmann parts page.

p51

Quote from: Larry_Tuck on January 15, 2020, 09:15:26 PM
So does anyone out there have a spare 4-4-0 oil tank they'd be willing to part with? There's none available on the Bachmann parts page.
According to this, it's part # OOX01:
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/On30%204-4-0%20AMERICAN_INSIDE%20FRAME_Tender.pdf
Sadly, I looked for one, but couldn't find one anywhere. If I had an extra, I'd have sent it to you, but I don't run 4-4-0s...
-Lee

Larry_Tuck

Unfortunately, none seems to be available from the online store.

I found a possible alternative online: an oil tank for a Mehano HO tender, ebay item 333353556856. I think it was used with their Santa Fe 2-6-0. Looks to be about the right size. When I get it I'll post information and a photo.

Terry Toenges

Would this one from Precision Scale work? It's on page 267. You can also get the details to go with it.
https://www.precisionscaleco.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/O-Steam-WOP.pdf
Feel like a Mogul.