News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale Derailments

Started by DMJ-Oregon, January 16, 2020, 11:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMJ-Oregon

Looking for ideas - help!  Received an Empire Builder set as a Christmas gift - my first train.  Built a layout modeled after p.21 (Bachman Getting Started - Building Your Layout) effectively 3' x 4'.  I have track laid on 2" foam covered in Bachmann Grass Mat.  Very frustrated by derailments of the loco.  I have added a bridge and an auto RR crossing in my layout.  I've examined the track again and again at the connections and believe they are pretty smooth.  Loco seems to hesitate at the bridge and RR crossing, but the derailments generally happen at the turnouts.  I'm lucky if I can get two complete circuits before off the track, running just the loco without freight cars.  My next move is to take out the bridge and RR crossing and see if performance improves.  Appreciate any ideas.

DAVISinGP

I had a similar problem with a turnout on my HO layout. The diesels negotiated it fine, but the steam loco (a small 4-4-0) would usually derail.

After some suggestions I read here about turnouts, I watched very closely and noticed that the derailments were happening at one point on the switch. (I had removed the front truck from the loco and manually rolled it over the switch.)

I filed the spot down just a bit and never had the problem again.

Have you tried turning the train around and running it in the opposite direction?

Here's a pic I had posted showing the location:

rich1998

Welcome.

There is an N scale forum here. Your post will probably be moved.

Rich

DAVISinGP

Not to be argumentative, but IMHO, derailments are more a "general" technical issue than an N-scale-specific one. Not having any Bachmann N scale equipment, I don't frequent that section.

(BTW, I just saw that the OP DID post in the N scale section as well.)

DMJ-Oregon

Hi DAVIS in GP!  Thanks for the thoughts.  I have two steam locomotives, a 4-8-4 that came with my set and a 2-8-4 - no diesels.  At the turnouts the loco seems to snag or jump, at about the same position noted in your pic, and the front wheels (truck-?) comes partially off the track w/derailment not far behind.  I did try running in the opposite direction with almost the same results. Took the accessories out of the track.  Calling Bachmann tomorrow!  Maybe take the turnouts (3) out.  I wanted to like this but really frustrated spending half my train time putting train back on track!  ~Mike

DAVISinGP

Quote from: DMJ-Oregon on January 21, 2020, 07:29:10 PM
I wanted to like this but really frustrated spending half my train time putting train back on track!  ~Mike
Yea, it's a drag to have problems in a new set - but don't despair, it will work out.

I've had a few equipment issues over the past few years, but between Bachmann's repair department and a bit of detective work, the glitches have been smoothed out.

Keep us posted as to what they say.

Terry Toenges

I'm following this thread because of problems I'm having with turnouts. I need to check that particular spot on mine.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

The thing about small scale model railroading is that everything, I mean everything, related to operation, is much more critical and much less forgiving, than the big heavy large scale electric train sets we had as kids.  Yet people often expect the same operational perfection.  Part of model railroading is identification and correction of maintenance issues.  At some point you get good at it and everything is finally fixed.  Other than running a switch I forgot to line properly, I can't remember the last derailment on my railroad, a year or maybe several ago.  It took a couple of years to find everything, which after a while resolved down to very particular and individual cars and engines not liking this or that, rather than a generic trackwork issue.

Incidentally, those switches in the photo are inanely sharp, in real life even a streetcar would have lots of trouble getting around it.  If you have room, gentler switches are much more forgiving.

DMJ-Oregon

Hi all, an update on my derailment issues.  I have removed 2 of 3 turnouts I had in my 30" x 44" wide oval layout.  The remaining turnout is on a spur.  The turnouts I have are apparently basic turnouts (parts 44861/44862).  I'd run the train in both directions and results were almost the same - loco jumped, then derailed (front truck) at the "frog" in the turnout.  I should note ,based on discussion w/Bachmann, that the loco/tender that came with my Empire Builder set is long - 9" - a 4-8-4 steam loco.  There is also a long refrig car - one that seems more prone to jumping off the track. 

Bachmann suggested do my best to level track, and I did notice a minor dip that I've addressed. They also suggested I consider a #4 (part 44863/44864) turnout or possibly #6 (44859/44860).  Inference was the length of my loco/tender was causing a problem at the sharper turnout and the #4 or #6 would be a more gradual turn.  Going to look at the "wider -(?)" turnouts and see if they will fit on my 3"x4" rigid foam foundation, covered w/ now 2-layers of grass mat.  I don't currently have another loco to run, but I do notice the one that came w/my set seems among the longest.
`Mike