HO Steam engines for 15-inch radius oval track

Started by Ron Ho, January 21, 2020, 04:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Ho

To run 4 HO trains on my 5 ft x 8 ft platform (with raised tunnel end, 4th train on top) I use 2 EZ Track ovals, 15-inch radius, measuring 33 in x 42 in.  I seek STEAM ENGINES for these to lead 4 freight cars and caboose for an All-Steam layout.
   Naturally, I got very excited lately, when I saw the NEW Bachmann HO "Echo Valley" 2-6-0 "Starter Set"  (see below)  complete with DCC Sound Value  AND the EZ Command DCC Controller.  What a package at a bargain price!  Currently I use diesel locs and/or an 0-6-0 Christmas engine, so I figured THIS train set OUGHT to run for me as well.
Q1) WILL this train WORK for me?
Q2) Will ANY  2-6-0 or 0-6-0 Engines also work for me? (Alco 2-6-0 Mogul or USRA 0-6-0 Steam Locomotive with Sloped Tender, Union Pacific #4442 ?)
I ran into despair before Christmas, hoping the fancy new Bachmann HO 4-4-0 DCC Engines would work for me (Jupiter, Texas, General or Prairie), but they all said,  "Performs best on 18" radius curves or greater."  I'm afraid they are too tall, long and topheavy for my tight 15-inch curves.
Q3) WOULD any of these 4-4-0 Engines work for me?
As a last resort, I am also considering the little 0-6-0 Porter Side Tank logging switcher.  I've heard it is jumpy, skitterish and sporadic (on purpose.) 
Q4)  Is it STRONG enough to pull my 5-car freight load?
Q5)  Will it throw the cars off the EZ track when it spurts and jumps?

***Q6)  Have you any OTHER suggestions to solve my dilemma?***

Eagerly awaiting,

"Ron Ho"

jonathan

The USRA 0-6-0 steamers will work well on 15 inch radius. If you intend to run longer trains, you may have to double head them. This would require modifying the front coupler.

I have successfully run 2-8-0 connies on 15 inch radius, even though they are listed as having 18 inch minimum.

Regards,

Jonathan

Terry Toenges

I have run a variety of locos on 15" radius including my HO 4-4-0's, 2-4-0, diesels. I run my On30 Moguls, Heisler, and Porter on 15". My 4-4-0's were the older Bachmann 4-4-0's with the engine in the tender so I don't know about the newer ones. I would imagine they would work, too. My old 4-4-0's would pull 20+ cars. They had traction tires. I don't know if the new ones have traction tires.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Change to 18"R if possible.  Operation and appearance will be much better all around.