News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Angle on Turn outs

Started by gjsrky, January 21, 2020, 10:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gjsrky

My question is...
I have two parallel tracks, and wish to start a third using one of the Bachmann turnouts. To stay parallel to the first two, which turn out would be the best for keeping the (now three tracks) looking correct, and which curve (18 inch or 22 inch) diameter to bring that track into parallel? #3, #4 etc. I have called Bachmann and they suggested this would be the best place for the answer. Thank you in advance.

jward

The answer will depend on how large the locomotives you intend to run are.

Approximate frog angles for the numbered switches are :
#4- 15 degrees
#5- 12 degrees
#6- 10 degrees.

You can use any radius curve to bring the tracks in oarallel, but you may have to cut the track to do so.

10 and 15 degree sections are made in 18" r
11.25 degrees is a half 22"r section
12 degrees is a 2/3 section of 33.25"r
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

gjsrky

Well , That's what I was afraid of. I guess I could use a Crossover and run a back section and an end piece... Not what I had in mind.

graywolf

The answer is to forget about sectional track and get some flex track that will matchup with your sectional track when you use it with a roadbed. You can then bend it to whatever radius you want to keep the tracks parallel. Also try to use the turnout with the largest frog # possible--- it is much easier for the engine to stay on track.

gjsrky

I don't disagree... But Im too far along to start changing what I currently have.

Len

This may give you some ideas:

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

gjsrky

Very nice... Mine has a dual track with a third breaking left, all three have a sweeping left turn (90 degrees) with the inside track starting an assent of 2.5 degrees to a second level. My layout has one section 8x8 with a 6x6 raised center (town square) and more modules to bridge off the upper level. Its amazing that 8x8 seems small when laying track...

gjsrky

Len, looking over your illustrations, I see something I had not thought of. The Y branching off to the inside assent rail, and to the middle rail. that is something to look deeper into.