News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 4-6-0

Started by RailMan63, January 21, 2020, 08:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailMan63

Thought about that. I finally used a fingernail for one ,and a small flat blade screwdriver for the other. Worked,but I'll try the pliers next to see if they do any better.
I called Bachmann about the sound issue. Talked to James,one of their techs. He said that the sound decoder will replace the current board , and that I'll have to un-solder the 8 pin plug from the current board and then re-solder it to the new one.
He says that Bachmann will not be offering any more sound solutions on their website.And since they're sold out of the one for this model, I will have to buy the sound system directly from Soundtraxx for this baby.
On another note,I've decided to leave it lettered as-is. I'll buy some log cars and a suitable logging caboose for it later. Interestingly, I researched the road name ,Greenbrier & Big Run Lumber Co.,and came up with nothing.The only thing I found that was even somewhat similar was this article on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Lawrence_Boom_and_Lumber_Company
Interesting,eh?

Ton N

You have an earlier incarnation of the 4-6-0.
The NMRA 8 pin connector is for a decoder or a decoder with sound incorporated.
The sound board you are showing is an add-on to a later build-in sound ready decoder.
That  decoder has a 21pin connector on the decoder pcb where you can connect the add-on board.
You don't have that one.

Ton

JBPRO_TX

Hello RailMan 63, I myself picked up from the same retailer the Bachmann #28657 Spectrum On30 Baldwin 4-6-0 Steam Loco - DCC on Board, Greenbrier & Big Run Lumber Company. I replaced the factory installed decoder with a heavy steam sound NMRA 8 pin decoder with speaker. To replace the decoder there is no un-soldering or soldering involved but just carefully prying from side-to-side the installed NMRA 8 pin decoder from the PCB board. Do keep in mind that the decoder is installed under the PCB board so you would have to loosen the two screws holding the PCB board to the tender body in order to remove the existing decoder body. I hope this helps and if I could be of further assistance please feel free let me know. Take care!

RailMan63

Thanks guys! Sounds really confusing now. So, what do I need to buy brand, and type wise to get sound in this loco? Will a Soundtraxx system work, or should I look for something different.
Thanks again!

JBPRO_TX

My pleasure providing assistance. Any 8 pin socket decoder with speaker will work. Or you could purchase an 8 pin socket decoder with sound and pair it with the speaker of your choice. Please do keep in mind the amount of room available within the tender. With that said, a SoundTraxx decoder is a good choice. As for myself, I added the following from MRC and I am pleased with my choice, 021501 LOCO GENIE UNIVERSAL STEAM (Heavy) SOUND TRANSMITTER & RECEIVER - HO SCALE. I chose this decoder because I already had a steam loco with this setup and am happy with it, it was plug-n-play and I do enjoy the option of running DC, DCC or through the remote without having to use my controllers (throttles). Do keep in mind that the speaker included is quite a the large side but I had no problem incorporating the 021501 in my Bachmann #28805. MRC also makes one that is light steam, 021500 LOCO GENIE UNIVERSAL STEAM (Light) SOUND TRANSMITTER & RECEIVER - HO SCALE. Light or heavy would be the users preference; however, I did want to match the decoder sounds according to the steam loco. I did pick mine up at an excellent price with shipping. Just be sure to google if interested in additional information on the MRC and where to purchase at a price well below MSRP. But please do keep in mine that I am not endorsing the product but just giving you my reasons for purchasing the one I did. However, I do enjoy my locos with SoundTraxx as-well-as other brand decoders installed.

RailMan63

Found one. But are the chugging sounds synchronized to the speed of the locomotive?

JBPRO_TX

Glad to hear. As for the answer to your question, yes. The decoder has various types of synchronized chuff sounds. Visit the following link (https://www.modelrectifier.com/dccdecoders-s/112.htm) for additional information and be sure to review the instruction manual for additional information. A reason I did go with this one is for me it was low cost, plug-n-play (no soldering involved) and met my requirements for adding sound to my steam loco. As for me, I am satisfied for what I paid for. Plus the bonus of the remote operation is a plus. Especially for the children to operate the loco. However, please keep in mind that I am not endorsing the product and suggest that you do additional research on all the decoders out there and select which would be best solution and options for you. However, if you do move forward with the MRC decoder please feel free to continue to reach out for any additional information or assistance.

Ton N

Here is a review i wrote a while ago.
It's a translation from Dutch to English.

I received the device on Thursday.
purchased on EBAY for 55 Euro + tax 22.70.
Is it interesting for that price?
A resounding NO.
The thing was put in a tenwheeler and put on a piece of track with 12V DC.
The decoder is a big boy.
It works, responds and there is sound.
I can remotely set the locomotive in motion and stop, whistle and bell work too.
Basic programming is also possible but, as I say, BASIC.
The big test done on the layout with DCC.
Programming on the rails is not possible.
So then back the programming track.
Is very cumbersome because you have to switch from programming track to normal mode every time.
For trying out the 17 types of flute and 20 different chuff sounds, that is a hell of a job.
I forget the 9 ring types.
The same thing that I have with my other MRCs I also get with this one.
After entering a new value in a resume I get an error.
Error 02, no feedback from the decoder.
If you then look at the result, the decoder has saved the value.
It may be my Lenz LHV100 but the acceleration and stop simulators (CV 3 and 4) do not work.
Back EMF is also questionable.
If I then take the remote from the Genie, I get a response, but the light goes on and off again.
The bell sounds 1x and then silence.
As a good radio ham I tested the maximum range of the transmitter.
According to the manufacturer, 75 Feet should be possible, +/- 25 meters.
Well forget it.
After about 6 meters (20 ft, my hallway is not longer, I already got problems.
Rounding the corner into the train room, even worce.
Conclusion; The idea is nice .... nice try, keep practicing.

Ton

RailMan63

Thank you both. I would really like to put either a Soundtraxx,,or maybe even a Phoenix, system in this. I have a Phoenix Big Sound 96/97 in one of my Spectrum G Scale locomotives , and the sound is very realistic. I also have 2 G Scale locomotives from another company,. They both feature Soundtraxx sound systems, and the full sound on those is excellent to. I'm not really looking for a basic system like the one you described. I was watching a Youtube video of that system installed in diesel locomotives, and those didn't sound anything like the real thing.
I've decided to keep looking for a suitable system from either Soundtralxx,Phoenix, or maybe even Sierra sound for this little beauty.
After all, it's worth spending the extra money if you really love your hobby.
Thanks again!

JBPRO_TX

I am glad you made your decision and that the post provided by the Forum members were helpful with you making your decision. As I mentioned in my post, I did not provide input in order to endorse the product I decided to use for my loco. I was just providing my input due to I myself owning the same product referenced in the post. But I do have to say that I do agree with Ton N regarding the range of the transmitter is best within 25 feet. But then who , as manufacturers of transmitters, doesn't over advertise the range of their product. Plus I am not looking to be running any locos on my layout from a distance 75 feet. However, as for the decoder being basic, I disagree. Plus it does allow main track programming. The Lenz is an excellent product. Which I could attest to being that I had lived in Deutschland for quite sometime. Plus as we all know, the Bachmann E-Z Command DCC systems are Lenz products. However, model railroad hobbyist all know that not all DCC controllers/systems are able to program on the main track every decoder on the market. IMHO, as for the three choices that you narrowed yourself down to, the SoundTraxx is the excellent choice. Now don't get me wrong. The Phoenix and Sierra are excellent choices as well. However; as for the Sierra, which was a SoundTraxx product, has been discontinued for quite sometime. Also, both the Sierra and the Phoenix were produced for the large scale market (G Scale). Which having experience with opening the tender in the Bachmann #28657 and installing a decoder with sound, would make it quite difficult to install such a large PCB board. I hope this information is helpful. From a person who really loves the hobby of model railroading who just recently joined the Forum because I did want to share my knowledge and experience with those who love the hobby as well. Wishing you well in your endeavor.

RailMan63

I changed my mind and decided to try the Loco Genie. It was less than half the price of the SoundTraxx unit, and looks like it is easier to install in my loco's tender since there is far less wiring involved.
I found another video on youtube of the diesel version, and the sound of the system ,properly installed in the loco, was actually pretty fair. I ,of course,bought the heavy steam version,so I'll see how I like it after it's installed in my 4-6-0.
I feel that you can't go very wrong at the price point of less than $44.00 for the Loco Genie versus $100.00 plus for the Soundtraxx unit. So,it's  worth a try at the very least.
And I can always resell it on Ebay if I don't like it, or decide to upgrade to something better later on.

Trainman203

If you know a lot about how varied and complex steam engine sounds really are, you will probably see a lot lacking in a $44 item compared to a $100 decoder.

RailMan63

Of course, you're right. I've been around quite a few real steam locomotives over the years, and I'm not expecting too much from this unit,which has a full retail price of $79.99 with remote . Right now, the website that I bought it from is selling these units for $37.98, more than 50% off MSP. I'm pretty certain that the sound will be very inferior to the Soundtraxx ,or other brand sound boards. Although,the diesel unit sounded pretty decent, I couldn't find any steam sound files from MRC. Bummer.
So, I decided to start with this unit,see how I like it, and if not, there's always the Soundtraxx units later on. This will get me started with sound in my Bachmann 4-6-0 for now.
I can always resell the unit on Ebay.
I also watched a video of a similar Bachmann 4-6-0 with a Soundtraxx sound unit installed in the tender last night,right before deciding to purchase the MRC Loco Genie. That unit sounded pretty great as compared to my other trains that are equipped with Soundtraxx sound units.
Video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYOsALeHOk

The one sound system that really blew me away was the TCS Wow V4 Sound unit.
Video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbWBhZc63hc

That is an amazing unit at the price of around $100.00,and as one commenter observed, it sounds very realistic. But,as it is a 21 pin unit, it is not compatible with the current set up in my particular locomotive,which has an 8 pin connector. Perhaps it could be modified, but that is beyond my ability, and I would have to send it out for a professional install. And, unfortunately, I cannot afford that option at this time.
There's absolutely no doubt that this Loco Genie is going to be an inferior product,but it is cheap, and easy to install as compared to those other units.Almost plug and play.   
And right now, it's exactly what I need, and can afford ,until I can replace it with a better sound system.
Other than that, I totally agree with you.
Thank you.

Trainman203

Ok.  Good.  I have 4 "Sound Value" engines, basically "choo-choo wooo-woooo" only, and at first they drove me crazy because you could not silence them via cv 113 like more advanced Soundtraxx products have.  But they have a place on a traveling layout I have, with only one or two engines at a time on the rail.  I still wish Bachmann would go back to the c. 2009 Bachmann Soundtraxx decoder though,  the main thing lacking was number of bell and whistle choices.

JBPRO_TX

RailMan63, glad to hear that you are moving forward with adding sound to your On30 4-6-0. You would definitely enjoy the loco more with sound. As for what Trainman203 shared, I do agree with him. No doubt the MRC decoder with sound is not at the level of a SoundTraxx or TSC decoder with sound. Or as RailMan63 referenced, a TCS Wow V4 Sound unit. However, as I mentioned in my prior post, the MRC decoder with sound satisfied my needs for adding a sound unit to my On30 4-6-0 which for me added an extra level of enjoyment than just being able to control speed, directions and lights. As for adding a 21 pin unit to a unit with an 8 pin connector, there are drop in PCB boards that will convert from 8 to 21. But once gain, the MRC currently met my needs and it was a remove and replace unit. Plus now I do have an extra decoder that I removed from the On30 4-6-0 that I could use that will give me speed, direction and lighting control. RailMan63, if you are interested I could provide you with a picture of how I have the MRC decoder with speaker installed in my Bachmann #28805.