Orange and Cream livery prototype?

Started by ripvanwnkl, January 23, 2020, 09:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ripvanwnkl

I just bought Bachmann #82058, unlettered N scale GE 70 Ton with DCC in orange and cream livery.  https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5098

Is the color scheme based on a prototype railroad? 

Thanks! 
Dave
USAF (Retired)

ripvanwnkl

Update:  Found the answer on Model Railroader Forum:  Their input ultimately led me to the fallen flag short line "St Johnsbury & Lamoile County Railroad" of northern Vermont, in operation from 1877 to 1995.

It had a fleet of ten 70 tonners numbered 46 to 55 and painted in "burnt orange" on the lower body and in "cream yellow" on the upper body, exactly the color scheme of the Bachmann model. The prototype's striping and lettering "St J & LC" were all black so I have a good example for decaling.

Interestingly, the 93 miles of the "SJL" are being converted to a rail trail.  When/If completed, it will be the longest rail trail in New England. 
Dave
USAF (Retired)

jward

That sounds like one of the Salzberg fmily shortlines. There were several scattered across the country. Wellsboro Addison & Galeton in northern Pennsylvania was another one. Same paint scheme, but much larger GE centercabs with hood ends that resembles a 1930s Ford.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ripvanwnkl

Quote from: jward on January 23, 2020, 06:43:38 PM
That sounds like one of the Salzberg fmily shortlines. There were several scattered across the country. Wellsboro Addison & Galeton in northern Pennsylvania was another one. Same paint scheme, but much larger GE centercabs with hood ends that resembles a 1930s Ford.

Great info about the Salzberg shortlines. They must be the paint scheme source for the Bachmann N scale unlettered 70 tonner.  Thanks jward! 
Dave
USAF (Retired)

Len

It looks like Bachmann got it pretty close, except for the top of the hood and cab.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

Boy, this is an obscure paint scheme to use.  So many shortline and industrial owners painted their engines plain black. That would have been a lot better choice, to me anyway.

Terry Toenges

In Googling "short line locos" and "industrial locos", I see a lot of black ones and I see a lot of various colored ones. In steamers, I see more black. In diesels, I see a lot more colored ones than black ones.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

In early diesel days, the builders had multiple stock paint schemes to choose from and this might have been one.

DAVISinGP

Reminds me of an old Boston PCC trolley car.

;D

jward

Quote from: Trainman203 on January 26, 2020, 04:58:17 PM
In early diesel days, the builders had multiple stock paint schemes to choose from and this might have been one.

As i states before these were the colours of the Salxberg shortlines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.E._Salzberg_Company
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

Yes but it could have been a stock design offered to them.

Trainman203

This railroad near my turf was a Salzberg railroad, I was surprised to learn.  No orange and cream here.

https://hawkinsrails.net/shortlines/lnw/lnw.htm

ebtnut

The Interstate RR, way down in southwest Virginia, also used the orange and cream colors on its diesels.