News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale Consolidation with sound

Started by Earl in Midlothian VA, January 12, 2020, 09:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl in Midlothian VA

I purchased a 2-8-0 Consolidation in N scale as my first loco with sound.  I have a large N scale layout and it is conventional DC.  I realize the sounds I can get with be limited---has anyone been able to activate the whistle sound.  I do get bell and chuffing sounds and they are excellent!!  Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!  Also-- I have found that is stalls briefly on some (but not all) turnouts. 

DaveGard

Can't help you with the whistle, as I run in DCC.

As for stalling on turnouts, it is a pickup issue. Things to check:
(1) are the wheels clean; If not, clean them.

(2) are the contacts from the drawbar making good contact with the contact "ears" extending up from the first tender truck? If not, bend them outward ever so slightly so that they do (note: the wire contacts should be contacting the INSIDE face of the truck contacts.

(3) are the tender truck contact ears clean? Are the spring contacts in the tender body clean? Are the truck contacts making good contact with the spring contacts inside the tender? Checking the former requires removing the trucks... not terribly difficult, they're just held on with screws. The latter requires removing the tender shell... carefully insert a blade or screwdriver in the seam between the tender frame and shell, and gently pry the shell off (working one side, then the other). Then, look from the side and see if the ears are touching the spring contacts in running along either side of the tender floor.

(4) Lastly, power is also carried from the loco to the tender by wires (more reliable than the drawbar, IMO). These anchor to the loco chassis with screws on either side of the chassis. On my 2-8-0, one of the screws was loose, and so that wire was not delivering power. To check, you have to remove the loco shell. This requires carefully freeing the pilot ladders from the boiler, and the cab hand rails, and the power reverse detail on one side of the shell (this was glued on mine, but I was able to get it free w/o breaking it). Then the shell should lift up and forward to come off.

These are nice running little locos was you get them all adjusted... Good luck!

Earl in Midlothian VA

Thank you for the nicely detailed response!!!  Although I have many years of experience in this hobby,  fixing n-scale train shave not been my strength and now with "older" eyes will make some of those adjustments a real challenge.  If only I could find a knowledgeable 30 year old LOL!!!  Thanks again!!