News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

#5 Turn out

Started by gjsrky, January 24, 2020, 05:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gjsrky

I have been a Bachmann fan for quite a few years now. As I now have a basement and wanted to build a really nice layout, it was only natural to want to use all of my Bachmann track that I have been collecting for quite a while. I had planned on a dual track building into an upper level. As I was trying to rid my track of two rather poorly fashioned turn outs connected together to tie my dual tracks together, (a poorly fashioned crossover) I looked into some more prototypical turnouts for that job. After a long time in researching this and even calling Bachmann to ask questions about angles for making a #5 turn out come back to parallel with the first track, (they suggested to try this forum because he couldn't answer those questions)... That should probably been the warning I needed, but I treaded forward and posted here and got some great help and Ideas. So I ordered a #5 turnout (item 44565) knowing I would have to probably cut a curved track section to bring the offset back to parallel. However when I received this track section and looked into fitting it to my track, I noticed the turn out track is so close the two tracks side by side cant fit together as the clearance wont allow. I get that I started this project knowing I would have to make some adjustments to get this to work. Although it would seem natural to make turn out sections for parallel tracks right from the manufacturer with out having to cut and glue. Even the package states "snaps together stays together no nails screws or special tools needed"... I'm a bit disappointed in a product that could not be used in any way with out modification right out of the package. nowhere do they show this piece in use or do they have a special piece that should be purchased with this to make it "snap together" as it says... So my question is this, before I start considering advertising them to sell some little to unused track and going a different direction all together, I will once more look for suggestions as to what others have encountered when trying to stay with the Bachmann EZ track. I realize most track layouts I see on you tube is high quality tack with out a base. Do I need to cut my losses now and go with the non based track? Once again I thank you all in advance for your insight and suggestions...

jward

Why not just trim the roadbed back so the tracks fit? That's what everybody else does. And since you were planning to trim track sections to get the curve angle you need, it isn't anything you weren't willing to do already.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

gjsrky

Are you saying by design the track I purchased needs to be trimmed so that I can snap the extension pieces to it, and then make my own curve? Is that is in fact what others are doing? If so that's great to know up front, but I will be needing to do this many more times. I don't have a problem with making my curve, but for the price of these turn outs I was hoping for some better design in the turn out right out of the package. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something...

So much for no special tools required right? ;D

Terry Toenges

If you look on the bottom of the 2" piece that came with the turnout, you will see that there are two areas that are "scored". The purpose of the "scoring" is so you can trim off one side or the other of the piece, depending on which side of the turnout you will use it on. A pair of pliers will do.
Feel like a Mogul.

gjsrky

Yes I did notice that after a closer look. Thank you for that confirmation.