Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

From DC to AC

Started by Michel Evers, January 25, 2020, 03:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michel Evers

Deleted

jward

How do you intend to convert from DC to AC? You can't run the motor off AC. You'd have to change it. Since most AC systems utilize some sort of third rail, how do you intend to add a pickup for this? Wouldn't it be much easier to rectify your AC to DC then tap it with w RHeostat for speed control. Essentially, you;d build your own controller.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ton N

From one Dutchy to another , mooi man , netjes.

Ton

Billm10454

Translation:

I am also very satisfied. Now weatheren the locomotive to get rid of that plastic look.

So without wagons behind it, I should not use the maximum speed, otherwise the locomotive is right next to the rails. And gradually close the sides of the climbing spiral partially.

jward

I am wondering just how sharp your curves are that you have to grind away part of the frame for the locomotive to make it.  Rs2s and RS3s should be able to go around standard size curves with no problems.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

If it's Marklin 'C' track then the standard curve sizes would be:

R1: 360mm ≈ 14.17"
R2: 437.5mm ≈ 17.22"
R3: 515mm ≈ 20.28"
R4: 579.3mm ≈ 22.8"
R5: 643.6mm ≈ 25.34"

The video appeared to be R2 size cuves to my eyes, which aren't all that great.

Trix track is the 2-rail version of the same curves. On the "Sodor" portion of the shopping center layout I maintain, I use R2 curves instead of 15" radius and R3 instead of 18" radius to improve appearances.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Len

The exploded diagram for the RS-3 is here:
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO%20RS3_DCC%20EQUPPED.pdf

Are you sure you have an RS-2?

Len

Len

Ah! I thought you were talking about a Bachmann locomotive and didn't remember Bachmann ever making an RS-2, only the RS-3.

Len

jward

An RS2 that won't run on 20" r? i'd say you have a problem locomotive. THose should do 18"r with no problems, maybe even a little less than that. I have several RSD5s, which are a 6 wheel truck version of an RS3, and they run well on 18"r. BTW, the RS2 and RS3 are almost exactly the same size. 
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA