Troube programming WOW decoder on Digitrax DCS51

Started by pz324, January 26, 2020, 02:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pz324

Can anyone tell me how to program either the Streamlined PRR K4 or the ACS-64 using either the Digitrax DCS51 or BLI Address Changer?  The BLI Address Changer does change the address, but the engines run backwards.  I contact TCS, Digitrax, and BLI and get different answers from all three companies!  Digitrax says to program on the mainline in OPS mode, but no luck there as it won't even read the decoder.  TCS says not to program on the mainline, but the programming track doesn't recognize the decoder in any of the programming modes.  TCS also says that CV29 controls the direction of the locos and to change that, but can't since the DCS51 isn't reading at all.  Finally, BLI says that their address changer will work with any NMRA compliant decoder, and it does since I've had success with many other decoders.

Finally, I've read on several websites to put a 1K ohm resistor on the programming track, but Digitrax did not address that when I asked.  Any help would be greatly appreciated....thank you!

rich1998

All I can say is put a 1K resistor across the program tracks. That has been posted here before about Digitrax.
Others might comment.

Rich

Trainman203

The BLI address changer does not address cv's, only addresses but boy is it a great thing to have, it's so easy to recover an unknown address and get it changed to a known one.

Directionability is a cv issue.  If you have a Soundtraxx decoder it's cv 29.  If it's a WOW decoder you have to contact them.  Anyone with anything resembling customer service will  be happy to help.

But from everything you've said, with nothing reading anything, sounds like a shot decoder.  Have you tried any of these adjustments on someone's else's track or system? The

Ton N

Is this what you can use?
http://tcsdcc.com/CV29Calc
http://tcsdcc.com/sites/default/files/2018-04/Comprehensive%20Programming%20Guide.pdf
https://tcsdcc.com/documentation

Ton

p.s. i'm struggling with the new 0n30 trench engine with WOWSound.
I'm searching myself colourblind with their site.

bapguy

Does this come with a keep alive installed? If yes, then it needs to be disconnected. The 1K ohm resistor  should work. You should look at a Digitrax PR4 and JMRI . JMRI is free and down loaded to a computer. The PR4 is hooked to the computer and a programming track. You can save your locos in a roster. This way, if you have to reset the decoder, all the CV's are saved and you reload them.   Joe

pz324

Thanks everyone for the great advice, and I think I will try the resistor.  I don't think it's a bad decoder since the Audio Assist allows me to reset the decoder, and it works fine but the address also gets reset to 3.

Trainman203

I wish Bachmann would go back to pre-Sound Value Soundtraxx decoders.  Easy Cv and address changing, no squirrelly business, no starvation of essential sounds and features.  Mr.  Bach Man, y'all had it right in 2010 with the Spectrum steam engines then , should have left it all alone.  Go back to the tried and true from those golden years.

pz324

The resistor did the trick, although it was still not evident that the program track was reading the decoder.  But once I wrote the new address on the program track and moved the engine to the mainline, the new address responded.

rich1998

Glad to hear it.
Even the Bach-Man sometime in the past said to use a resistor. I have the message stored somewhere.

Rich

Hunt

1K Ohm resistor aid to programming -- misinformation in this case?

The Bach-man,
Request you have the necessary electronics people take a look at this thread, conduct engineering level testing and comment.

I do not believe using the 1K Ohm resistor is the reason the address was set.  This is an example of anecdotal evidence that likely will become the basis of what is misinformation.

To reliable program the TCS WOWSound decoder factory installed in the ACS-64 using DCS51 -Digitrax Zephyr Xtra requires a SoundTraxx PTB-100 Programming Track Booster or the like.

Len

The DCS-51 OpsMode SW7 can be set to 'Blast Mode' for programming sound decoders that require more current than a regular decoder. See the DCS-51 instruction manual for the 'how to' information.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

Quote from: Len on February 23, 2020, 11:12:44 AM
The DCS-51 OpsMode SW7 can be set to 'Blast Mode' for programming sound decoders that require more current than a regular decoder. See the DCS-51 instruction manual for the 'how to' information.

Len

The  Digitrax KB33 article is a better source  for how to use Digitrax Zephyr Blast Mode Programming

Caveat - Before using Blast Mode Programming one should read all of KB33 very carefully, slowly and more than once. Many miss several things. An example: Track power must be ON during Blast Mode Programming.

I have not tried Blast Mode Programming with a TCS WOWSound decoder equipped with a Keep-Alive device.