HO scale Western Maryland # 744 item no. 84504

Started by cliffordg1, January 29, 2020, 02:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliffordg1

I recently purchased a Bachmann Spectrum, DCC, sound on board, Consolidation item no. 84504 in very gently used condition.
It came with NO documentation at all and I can't find any information on your site. How can I replace the paperwork that came with this model?
I can live with the fact that the WM never had a # 744 but two things do concern me. 1) why no rear light on the tender
and 2) what's the trick to routeing / bending the loco to tender wires so they don't lift the front tender truck off the rails?

jonathan

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HOBaldwin2-8-0DCCSoundValue(1of2).pdf
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HOBaldwin2-8-0DCCSoundValue(2of2).pdf

Cliff,

Print those two links listed above.  That should help you with diagrams. 

1) The Bachmann Consolidations were never manufactured with reverse lights.  If you are familiar with markings on PCBs and/or decoders, you will find tabs where you can wire in your own reverse lights and mount them to the tender in whatever fashion is prototypical for your railroad.  I have done it on 4 of the six Connies I own.  Takes a bit of effort but I like the way it looks.

2) If your Consolidation is slightly used, as you say, the tender wires have not had a chance to loosen up over time.  They will as you run the loco more often.  Some tricks we use to help the process along:

a) inside the tender there is space to add some weight up front to help keep the front trucks planted on the rails.  The tender shell had just one screw holding it in place, behind the front truck.  It may be a little sticky the first time you attempt to remove.

b) I like to feed the drawbar BETWEEN the two set of wires.  I find it helps to stabilize the tender and keep it on the rails. It will take some time to manipulate the wires that you are most comfortable with.  TAKE YOUR TIME.  Those plugs can release a wire if you get too ham-handed. 

A 'new' connie can be a bit frustrating at first.  Over time, however, you will find it may be the best loco that Bachmann ever produced.  I have one of the original Spectrum Connies, with white plugs and a brass bell.  Still runs like a top.

An additional tip.  Put a bit of light oil (conductalube or the like) in the eccentric crank.  It is usually the first part to actually wear out after years of running.

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

Just to add one thing to what Jonathan has posted......

Excess wire can usually be tucked back into the tender using some tweezers. Once the wires are shortened up, route them around the drawbar, and you should have years of good running.

Sid

cliffordg1

Thank you both.
I had those diagrams. Thought a quick start pamphlet might be included.
I'll try the wire tricks. Thanks again

jonathan

If you'll click on the "Parts, Service, & Information" tab, then click on "DCC", I believe the start up guides and CV information is available for Soundtraxx, Sound on Board, and Sound Value locomotives.

Regards,

Jonathan

rich1998

On my Bachmann steamers, I very carefully slit the clear plastic tubing over the DCC wire bundles. I mean very carefully slit the clear plastic tubes. I had a pair of sewing scissors from my wife's sewing box that were small and long points. The wire bundles were then loose.

Rich

WoundedBear

Quote from: rich1998 on January 29, 2020, 02:37:19 PM
On my Bachmann steamers, I very carefully slit the clear plastic tubing over the DCC wire bundles. I mean very carefully slit the clear plastic tubes. I had a pair of sewing scissors from my wife's sewing box that were small and long points. The wire bundles were then loose.

Rich

Can't say as I have ever seen clear tubes around the wires. All mine have been black and they are shrink tubes that haven't been heated yet.

Once you get the wires positioned, use a fine soldering iron to shrink those tubes down around the wires.

Rich's memory can be off at times.

Sid

rich1998

I thought he was talking about the two wire and four wire bundles between loco and tender. Both have a clear plastic tube over them. I cut that tube out. Maybe the sets are different now.
I made them look like hoses.

Rich

WoundedBear

Quote from: rich1998 on January 29, 2020, 03:30:29 PM
I thought he was talking about the two wire and four wire bundles between loco and tender. Both have a clear plastic tube over them. I cut that tube out. Maybe the sets are different now.
I made them look like hoses.

Rich

He is talking about those wires.....so am I. I have 15 year old Bachmann stuff......it's all black tubing.

Sid