News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

consolidation cab removale

Started by az2rail, December 22, 2007, 03:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

az2rail

Hi- I have an unlettered consolidation and I would like to paint red trim on the cab. I thought it would be easier to do with the cab off. Has any one removed the cab before? Is it easy to do, or should I just mask it and do it on the engine. Thanks. Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

"Trainman"

Turn the loco over, four screws hold the cab in place. I have had them off several times on both of my units.

Mike

Kevin Strong

There are screws on the bottom that keep the cab in place. Be careful as some of the piping and things like bell and whistle cords pass through the front cab wall.

If you're only painting the window trim, though, you may find it just as easy to paint it in place. No masking needed, just a very fine brush and a steady hand. You might try just taking the roof off (screws up along the bottom edge of the roof) and removing the window trim pieces that way. Not sure it'd make that much difference either way.

Later,

K

az2rail

Thanks guys. I removed the 4 screws on the bottom, but nothing moves. At least not freely. I will do some more wiggling around . I removed the roof, [I did'nt see those screws] and that will make things a lot easier to work on, being I want to paint the roof also. Thanks. Bruce

Kevin Strong

Gently pull on the handrails to remove them from the holes they fit into on the cab. You may have to physically pull the handrails off of the boiler (the stanchions are a press fit). Look for other details (water lines, etc.) that might be holding it in place, too.

Later,

K

az2rail

By removing the roof, I was able to paint it away from the engine. It turned out nice. Through the roof, I was able to remove the inside windows and paint the stationary window frames with just a little bit of masking. The bonus was, I was able to remove the cab doors so they could be painted also. Unfortunately, they did not turn out a nice as expected. I may have to remove the paint and start over. No big thing, just disappointing.   Bruce

Gary Armitstead

Just a question for all. Is the backhead of the boiler part of the rear wall on the Connie or is it separate?

az2rail

If a "Connie" is a consolidation, it is a separate part. There are 2 very small screws at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. The boiler part will put out, revealing the flicker light and other wires I did not pay attention to. Bruce

Gary Armitstead

Yes Consolidation. (Connie) Thanks for the help.

"Trainman"

That idea of just removing the roof is an excellent option. That should allow you to get to the interior without the hassle of removing the entire cab. Also, the back wall is a sperate part which is attached to the rear of the boiler. As was stated earlier, two very small screws at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Be very careful with them, they can easily grow legs and walk away.

glennk28

To "Carmel Valley"--I'm trying to get out off-line but the system won't put me thru--wondering if youi are someone I know there--

Glenn Joesten    glenn476@4fast.net 

"Trainman"

glennk28, not sure what you mean, please clarify.

Mike from Carmel Valley RR

glennk28

rs and thought I knew all the model railroaders there---Glenn Joesten