News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC-On Board locomotive on eBay

Started by DrummerEGConrail, January 30, 2020, 09:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrummerEGConrail

I'm looking at buying a Bachmann DCC-On Board Conrail locomotive that I found on eBay, but I only have the DC power pack that I got with the train set my mom got me for Christmas 20 years ago. I don't want to ruin the decoder by trying to run it on my tiny setup, so I'm coming to the people who have more experience than I do! (I'm just trying to get started in model railroading after dealing with health problems for the past 10 years.) I've seen other similar posts that mentioned the "pulse modulation" that older DC throttles have, but am not sure how to find out if mine is like this. Could someone please guide me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Eric

"Conrail was my childhood"

jward

Did your power pack come with the train set?If so, it is unlikely to have pulse power. That was a feature of higher end, aftermarket packs, not the cheap ones included with train sets.

That said, you will find your DCC locomotive will run sluggish on Dc, due to the electrical components in the decoder. I takes about 5 volts just to overcome this before your locomotive will start to move. On a typical 12 volt pack that's almost have the control arc on the rheostat.

Is your locomotive new or used? if used, the previous owner may have reprogrammed the decoder so it won't run on DC. If this is the case, you will need to have somebody reprogram the analog conversion feature before you can use it.

If it was new in box, then checque to see if there is a dummy plug included. This iusually looks like a small cuircuit board with pins on one side. If you ahve one of these, your decoder plugs into a standard 8 pin socket. You can unplug the decoder and replace it with the dummy plug and your locomotive will be converted back to DC.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

DrummerEGConrail

Yes, the power pack came with the set. Thanks so much for the in-depth answer and all of the information! It's a used locomotive. I haven't actually purchased it yet, as I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't damage it by having the wrong power pack/throttle. If I do go through with the purchase I was expecting to not have it perform as well because of the decoder. I'm hoping to someday get a DCC system, but right now it's not financially feasible for me. That's why I'm doing much of my shopping for locos/rolling stock/track on eBay! ;)

Trainman203

BEWARE, O BEWARE OF USE LOCOMOTIVES!  Verily, verily I say unto thee....  thou may encounter the plague and pestilence known as a "pig in a poke".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke

And so should such vexation come to pass even such as the roiling tempest may covereth the land, the people of the earth shall know of the sorrow by much weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth.

JBPRO_TX

There are quite a few DCC On Board locomotives that are dual mode, DC and DCC, that do not require any reprogramming in order to run in DC mode. Bachmann DCC On Board locos come without needing to be reprogrammed. However, as jward stated, the owner could have reprogrammed the CV for DC only. Provide additional information regarding the loco you are looking to purchase, such as Bachmann model number if available or if not available, the loco type and road number since you already said it was a Conrail railroad loco would be helpful and the Forum may be able to assist you further. BTW, I do agree with Trainman203, beware and ensure you know what you are purchasing. Trust me, there are many on this forum who have learned from experience or just have a story to tell. Wishing you well DrummerEGConrail.

DrummerEGConrail

They didn't list the Bachmann item number or locomotive type, but the road number is 3084. According to the Conrail loco roster and photos, it should be a GP-40.

JBPRO_TX

The information you provided is correct. However, Conrail acquired that loco through mergers. GP-40 #3084 was originally a New York Central loco. In it's current product line, Bachmann shows that as model 63529 which is a DCC ready loco. However, in the past Bachmann could have produced it under the Conrail railroad with it being either DCC ready or DCC on board. Then again, it could have been a DC loco and converted to DCC. I know that you mentioned that it was part of a set and that you saw it on eBay. If you would like to share the item number I would be able to assist you further. Sorry I couldn't be of further assistance.