Standard Gauge Modelling Thread

Started by Kemptown Branch, February 01, 2020, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemptown Branch

Alright, so as you guys know, there is a thread for both Narrow Gauge and Large Scale modelling, but not necessarily one for HO/OO scale. Anyone can post here on their projects with their models... the idea is pretty much the same as the two mentioned threads. I know that some people have layouts or have done some modelling, so post away!

I'll start off. As you may have seen on the Everything Thomas Topic or RMWeb (if any of you read that), I have been working on making Thomas a lot more accurate to Series 1. I wasn't pleased with how the smokebox saddle had turned out, so I decided to make a new one that's actually to scale (not done yet). The good thing is that this will also allow me to open up the area between the splashers and tanks. I also solved my problem with sourcing 6mm eyes by rolling some out of milliput, and I began work on the cab detail. I would have done more, but I found out the hard way that I don't have suitable wire cutters, so I will need to get some. I also began work on the way the face will be held to the smokebox. I made a mock-up of the cab to show what the detail looks like through the window, and posed the majority of the project so far together to see what it looked like.

Painting the eyes is going to be a priority for my next work session.

Forgot to add a pic of the cab interior itself.
And here's a picture of the actual model's cab interior.
[/url

Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

I love this. Seeing people make improvements to the Bachmann Thomas shell itself rather than just small modifications is such a daunting task but such a rewarding one. Good luck to you! It's looking great so far.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Kemptown Branch

Thanks! Were you BluebellModeller on Rmweb? If so, how is your project going?

Kemptown Branch

Can a Payne-style Thomas be made from a Bachmann model?

In short, kind of, but it's a lot of work. It might be easier just to build from scratch. This is what I've been doing with my Thomas model, and here are a few pictures of my progress, and what remains of the Bachmann model.

I had to completely build a new running plate to match the curve in most illustrations. Drawing it consistently was the hardest part, but eventually I got the curve in the running plate to match on both sides, which was the most important thing (to me), before getting it put together.

I also needed to make a new cab (mainly because I want it to be detailed. I cut the bunker as part of it, which I figured would be easy. I also made a start on the cab windows, which are based on Reginald Payne's illustrations. I glued the sides together temporarily to drill the holes for the window. It's rough at the moment, but it will be worked on more.

And here's a picture showing what it looks like now (kind of) and what's left of the Bachmann model.

Rodimus Supreme

How difficult would it be to scratch-build proper HO scale (1:87 scale) body shells for scratch-built Thomas and Friends HO Scale models?

Kemptown Branch

First, you would need to decide whether you want to make them out of plastic or brass, then it's a lot of measuring and cutting. A couple of things to note: Thomas was made with his Magic Railroad-era larger wheels. However, in the classic series, he shared a wheel size with Edward and James, and because of this, Bachmann Edward and James are both slightly oversized for OO scale (they look a bit big next to Gordon and Henry). If you want to check my sources for that, search up Thomas' Christmas Party for the original and a Bachmann remake (specifically the one by ThomasNWR01). If you want to do the classic series scales, I'd suggest scaling down a 7-plank wagon first, and looking at several pictures of the engines pulling/shunting or just close to the 7-planks to help get a sense of scale. You would also need to find suitable wheels for the engines (I believe Bachmann Thomas' wheels are around 2mm larger in diameter than they were in the classic series). Good luck! I look forward to seeing what you make.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: TrainMan2001 on June 30, 2020, 12:27:53 PM
First, you would need to decide whether you want to make them out of plastic or brass, then it's a lot of measuring and cutting. A couple of things to note: Thomas was made with his Magic Railroad-era larger wheels. However, in the classic series, he shared a wheel size with Edward and James, and because of this, Bachmann Edward and James are both slightly oversized for OO scale (they look a bit big next to Gordon and Henry). If you want to check my sources for that, search up Thomas' Christmas Party for the original and a Bachmann remake (specifically the one by ThomasNWR01). If you want to do the classic series scales, I'd suggest scaling down a 7-plank wagon first, and looking at several pictures of the engines pulling/shunting or just close to the 7-planks to help get a sense of scale. You would also need to find suitable wheels for the engines (I believe Bachmann Thomas' wheels are around 2mm larger in diameter than they were in the classic series). Good luck! I look forward to seeing what you make.
Currently I don't plan on making anything, as I have no layout, no place for one, haven't started learning how to build models, and can't afford to be buying model trains right now. I have decided that when the day comes, I can likely use Fleischmann HO Scale German train models, as the chassis from the models from the first and second seasons were made from Märklin Gauge 1 locomotives. Things like BR-78 (Gordon and Henry), and BR-80 (Percy and Toby) were used.