News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Short loco on long turnout

Started by Terry Toenges, January 18, 2020, 11:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

Thank Len. I might try that. I'll have to figure out what to do. I need to put the new #5 back in and see how the 4-4-0 does on it. I figured it would be better for running by using longer numbered turnouts. Maybe I should just go back to standard turnouts.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Loose rivets and high frogs make me regret using those switches on my layout.  They are all painted and buried under ballast now, the frogs are filed down, and I managed to fiddle with the loose point rail rivets (not all were loose) to get them better.

These switches are pretty nice looking for basically toy train use, but we shouldn't have to fiddle with them so much to get them operating well.  Mr. Bach Man, please look into taking care of those issues for future users.

Terry Toenges

I figure my problem is that I filed the outside point too much. I had seen people recommend filing the points on turnouts on the E-Z turnouts.
When I first started having an issue with this one, I filed the points down some. With the one that contacts the straight leg, I thought if I could file the end enough at a slope to go under the rail head, it make for an easier turn. I guess I took too much off because the 4-4-0 want to keep going straight unless I slow it down to where it barely moves.
The other locos do ok. It's just the 4-4-0. I cut a couple pieces of thin brass sheet and glued them to the front of the pony truck, hoping  little extra weight would keep it down but it didn't help much. I have one more piece cut. I'll try adding that.
Feel like a Mogul.