News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Decapod

Started by ebtnut, February 05, 2020, 11:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtnut

I just picked up one of the updated Russians.  Have not had it out of the box yet, but wanted to know if anyone has run theirs and wondered if there were any special things to watch for.  I don't have DCC so I plan to take it to an operating session on a friend's layout next week, so I can get the decoder set up for the loco number and check for chuff sync with the drivers.  Any thoughts?

Trainman203

I asked this question awhile back and one guy responded.  Do a search.

rich1998

You could do a Google search. There are other forums.

Rich

ebtnut

Well, I got the loco out of the box last night to run on a friend's layout.  We checked the programming to make sure the WOW momentum feature was minimized and changed the address to the loco number.  In general I was pleased with the operation of the loco, except that one of the signal wires from the tender to the loco was too long and occasionally caught on a frog or guardrail.  That's a minor fix.  I thought the whistle had a little too much reverb but the chuff was good and the driver rotation to chuff rate was real close.  Will give it some more exercise at the club layout on Friday.  So far, so good.

Kemptown Branch

Quote from: ebtnut on February 12, 2020, 10:52:24 AM
except that one of the signal wires from the tender to the loco was too long and occasionally caught on a frog or guardrail.  That's a minor fix.

How do you fix that? I have a locomotive that I haven't run for a while because of that problem.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

WoundedBear

Quote from: TrainMan2001 on February 12, 2020, 03:15:03 PM
Quote from: ebtnut on February 12, 2020, 10:52:24 AM
except that one of the signal wires from the tender to the loco was too long and occasionally caught on a frog or guardrail.  That's a minor fix.

How do you fix that? I have a locomotive that I haven't run for a while because of that problem.

On most of my Bachmann steamers, I have fixed the problem by gently tucking a bit of the offending wire back into the bottom of the tender with a fine tipped pair of tweezers.

Sid

ebtnut

I haven't had time to look closely, but sometimes you can just make sure the offending wire goes over top of the drawbar when you hook the tender to the loco, taking up most of the slack.