News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The new AT&SF Decapod

Started by Searsport, February 06, 2020, 06:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi, does anyone know, does the new AT&SF Decapod come with an oil bunker option for the tender?

And is there a difference why the new run of decs are not classified as "Spectrum"?

Thanks,
Bill.

WoundedBear

I see them called "Spectrum" in the new releases announcement.

https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1098_1112&products_id=7118

Sid

Searsport

Hi, thanks, I wondered because Trainworld has separate pages for the Bachmann Spectrum and standard steam, and has put them on the standard page, and MB Klein just calls them "DCC Equipped", and though they provide an extensive and favourable description, they don't mention of "Spectrum".

I asked about the oil bunker because whilst it is not shown on the parts diagram on this website I saw a photo of the old Spectrum 84302, ATSF #2552, which had an oil bunker as a spare in the box. Maybe that came from elsewhere, but it would be interesting to know if Bachmann supply it with the new ATSF 2546, but I see it is not listed amongst the "features" in your link, so I assume not.

Thanks again,
Bill.

Trainman203

Bill I have had four of the ATSF 2552's and none of them came with a tender oil bunker.

The railroads back home had oil burning steam engines when I was a kid.  I find the occasional over-firing with the fire flashing out through the driver spokes to be incredibly dramatic, especially at night.  I cannot remember now the name of the western movie filmed in Mexico with lots of footage of an NdeM 2-8-0 using up half its oil being constantly over-fired, the director must have liked it.

ebtnut

An educated guess on the movie:  The Professionals

Trainman203

https://www.google.com/amp/s/obscuretrainmovies.wordpress.com/2018/05/01/the-professionals-1966/amp/

It wasn't this movie.  The 2-8-0 I remember had a centered headlight and there were several 1900 vintage truss-rod closed-vestibule wood passenger cars , plus the NdeM was on the right side of the tender and properly sized.