Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wood and water for my Bachmann 4-4-0

Started by Terry Toenges, February 07, 2020, 07:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunt

Terry,

An aside ---

Click Here for video segment  -- just in case you want to do more to locomotive.  Part of the headlight flicker seen is due to the video frame rate.

Click Here   This SoundTraxx video shows and identifies the headlight effect used

FYI     George Bogatiuk III  - Product Expert at SoundTraxx

rich1998

I have been pouring through a series of old time locomotive book's by White, Abdill, even Mr Lincoln's Military Railroads. Central Pacific Railroad from what I can see. Maybe later days. Seems to be dated 1879.
I found one in a book by Abdill. Pacific  Slope Railroads. Page 22. Queen of the Humboldt, a 4-4-0,  with two six wheel trucks under the tender. I think that might be what you want. There may be more. Eye sight not so good.
Abdill has great books having been a a loco driver.

The book is at Amazon and probably at a library via loan.

Edit.

The tender has coal on it. They use to run wood.

Rich

Hunt

Quote from: Len on February 08, 2020, 10:33:49 AM
The fuel in the tender supposed to be wood stacked on end so it takes less space. And yes, it's very plasticy looking.

Len

Click Here

As Terry called to Harold's attention --  Sometimes folks just don't do what they are suppose to do with the wood.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I have a few Abdill books, too. I don't plan on any 6 wheel tenders. This car was just an off the wall idea I had.
Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

I have all of Abdill's books. I saw the occasional variation.

Rich

Terry Toenges

I was just now going to remove the plastic wood load from my new 4-4-0 and I don't think it's removable. I think it's all one piece with the body. I can't see any seam.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Well, the photo of the CP 4-4-0 with 6 wheel tender was not in Hear the Train Blow.  But.  I'm fairly certain that the train was the 1877 Coast to Coast Frank Leslie special, took 7 days, nothing compared to the voyage around Cape Horn.  I lost a lot of books in a flood and the photo may have been in Rails to Promontory by Donald Duke.  But I assure the world that there is a photo of a 4-4-0 with a very long 6 wheel tender.

Terry Toenges

:D :D :D Well lookie here. I was looking at George Abdill's book "Pacific Slope Railroads" (looking for the 12 wheel tender) and look what I found - A flat car tender. It appears the wood is just kind of tossed in there, too.  :D

The Eureka with the 12 wheel tender
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I looked through "Hear The Train Blow" also and didn't see it.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

I'm pretty sure that the 158 was the same engine I saw in the photo, presumably on the Frank Leslie special.

Terry Toenges

After watching the video, I see I'll have to cut out the plastic wood load. I just hate to start butchering my brand new toy but the plastic load sucks. When I do that, I'll end up thinking about changing the speaker like he said in the video. I don't know if I want to do all that yet until I look inside.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

What sucks is that I ordered some couplers to fit the pockets on these trucks on the 1st of Feb from a company (Bachmann doesn't make these kind.).
After about four days, I hadn't received a shipping notice. When I checked, it said still awaiting shipment. This company has done this to me before. They advertise the item but don't tell you they don't have it in stock.
I figured I would get them elsewhere. I checked Ebay and found them and ordered them. The seller was in Texas. I've been waiting, so I checked the tracking on the package. It went from Texas to Hawaii. ??? It was in Hawaii yesterday and said it is scheduled to be delivered Monday. We shall see.
I'm having a heck of a time just to get a pair of couplers for this car.
I don't want to mess with body mounting them. I just wanted to slide them in and be ready to go.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Terry, are you going to make a flat car tender?  Now THAT would be ONE OF A KIND.