News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G Scale 4-6-0's running slowly

Started by ScottRR, December 22, 2007, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottRR

A couple of my G Scale 4-6-0s have started running very slowly, particularly around curves. Is this a known issue - I have checked/cleaned wheels, etc. Any suggestions?

the Bach-man

Dear Scott,
Have you lubricated the locomotives?
Have fun!
the Bach-man

rperego

I just had this difficulty and the problem turned out to be the track spacing was too little on some curved sections - the wheels were riding up on the rails creating drag. 

Paul W.

Scott,
Like the Bachmann suggested, check your lubrication. But what we found with a couple of ours that started slowing down, we added some of the conductive lube to the wheels, and the problem was solved.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

Jim Banner

Scott, I take it from your original post that these two locomotives did not always run slowly.  This makes me wonder if the track has somehow got narrower or if the wheels have got farther apart.  The latter is possible with the Anniversary issue 4-6-0's.  It happens when the machine screws holding the wheels onto the axles get loose.  Usually, the wheel also becomes wobbly.  These screws are in the centres of the wheels behind a cover.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

snowshoe

I have the same problem with my Big Hauler.  I know the wheels seem loose.  Will have to try that.  What kind of lube is goos to use?  Anything from a hardware store?

snowshoe

Quote from: Jim Banner on December 27, 2007, 04:35:20 PM
Scott, I take it from your original post that these two locomotives did not always run slowly.  This makes me wonder if the track has somehow got narrower or if the wheels have got farther apart.  The latter is possible with the Anniversary issue 4-6-0's.  It happens when the machine screws holding the wheels onto the axles get loose.  Usually, the wheel also becomes wobbly.  These screws are in the centres of the wheels behind a cover.

I have a Big Hauler that does the same.  I took it apart and there are no screws to tighten to bring the back wheels closer.  Is this for the Ann ed only. 
Where should I apply the oil?

the Bach-man

Dear Snowshoe,
There are lubricating instructions on the video that we include with sets and many locos. In short, use gear grease on the gears accessible through the lube port on the bottom plate, as well as some heavy gear oil. Apply heavy gear oil to the axles. Use the light gear oil on the moving valve gear parts, and a drop of conductive lubricant on the wheel treads and pickups.
Make sure you use plastic compatible "Space-age" lubricants like our line of EZ Lubes.
Happy New Year!
the Bach-man