instruction manuals for Gp9 Locomotives HO scale

Started by gm4718pender@gmail.com, February 10, 2020, 11:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gm4718pender@gmail.com

I would like to find out more about the insides of my loco without dismantling it completely. Is there an instruction manual that you can send me for that? If it is already available on line, where do I find it? Also I would like to find other decoders for this loco as the one that is in it does not work well. It is DCC from factory but I want a different decoder.
Is the decoder for the GP9 HO scale a plug in or is it wired into the chassis?
Thanks,
George

Len

This is about the best you're going to get:
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO_GP9_DCC.pdf

Also, it's generally not a good idea to use your e-mail address as your 'handle'. Spammers love it when people do that.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rich1998

Welcome.
Yes, hackers love finding email addresses on the internet.
If your loco is like the one in the PDF, you can see it is wired.
NCE makes a replacement. It is called, Bach-Dsl. Last I knew it was about twenty dollars and designed for Bachmann diesels. I would solder rather than use plastic clips.

Rich

Len

The .pdf diagram I referenced earlier is for the 'DCC Equiped/DCC Ready' version of the GP9, which has an 8-pin socket on the PCB. It will either have a decoder (DCC Equiped)) or dummy plug (DCC Ready) plugged into the PCB. Either way, it's a simple matter to unplug it and install the 8-pin decoder of choice.

If it's the "DCC Onboard" version of the GP9 then Rich is correct, the entire PCB has to be replaced. Either with the NCE board Rich mentioned, or with Bachmann's board for the 'DCC Ready' version of the GP9 that included an 8-pin socket:
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_625&products_id=1337&zenid=pcn7l62djr26g0stgnln1c2aq0

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rich1998

If the OP goes with the PC board with the eight pin socket, Digitrax has some real small one amp decoders.
One I have used was the DZ125 no longer made and replaced by the DZ126PS. Short leads and a eight pin plug. Ready to go.
TCS makes a small one also. Google them. Specs online.

Rich