Bachmann Thomas & Friends July 2020 NMRA Predictions

Started by TerencetheTractor525, February 13, 2020, 12:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

That's fair, although Mattel isn't shy with dumb business decisions as we've seen already...
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Ronniethe14xxx

So I noticed recently Bachmann has made so responses to people asking about future products on twitter. Should we take these posts at face value or no? Cause if this is true this means potentially no to a lot of future engines anywhere in the near future.

TTL

Or you know, they're not allowed to say anything about what could be coming. Like most companies would do.
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

Ronniethe14xxx

Quote from: STL on February 19, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
Or you know, they're not allowed to say anything about what could be coming. Like most companies would do.
Which is true, obviously that's the likely case. But then why respond at all? Like it's not like they absolutely had to respond to the post.

I'm honestly appalled, but Bachmann just confirmed on Twitter that they discontinued both Knapford Station and Tidmouth Sheds. I really hope that they have plans to replace them or something, because honestly with the discontinued resin line and now this, the availability of detailed Thomas buildings is dwindling quickly.

JLK2707

Don't worry about the bachmann knapford station being discontinued, as you can just go on shapeways and look at getting the bits and pieces for you to build it yourself. It's probably a good thing, as it just had a single track for each platform.

ilovetrains323

Since everyone else was doing it I thought I'd pop in and drop my list. Now for mine I'm listing mostly what I think they're  likely to do rather then what I want them to do. I'll do a separate one for my wish list at the bottom.

What I see as most likely:

HO
Sidney (with moving eyes)
Flatbed (with Oil Drums)

Narrow Gauge
Sir Handel
Brown Brake-van (I say Brown but I mean more of the Talyllyn livery to go with the Talyllyn coach)

N Scale
Toby
Henrietta
Milk Tanker
TT#3

Large Scale
Philip (with moving eyes)

What I would like to see:

HO
Ryan (with moving eyes)
TT#7 (A White Vent-Van with a Small face like the current CGI Series)
Red Express Coaches

Narrow Gauge
Sir Handel
Blue Mountain Quarry Trucks
Con-Flat

N Scale
Gordon
Express Coaches

Large Scale
Edward (with moving eyes)
Henrietta
"Duck still wonders about the lands beyond the horizon, but he enjoys being with friends most of all and I think he knows that sometimes the best travels are those we can only dream about."

TrainFan97

I have ideas for new rolling stock in HO Scale.

If Bachmann was to make another Mining Wagon, it can have an ore load, like the trucks from the 75th Anniversary set. The Mining Wagon with an ore load can be painted green or red. Last year, the Blue Mining Wagon was released with a coal load.

Another idea would be a ballast wagon. The ballast load can be white. Not sure what would be the best paint scheme for the wagon.

Last year, the HO Scale Flatbed was brought back with a log load. Like everyone else, I'd like to see a flatbed loaded with oil drums.

The fact that Troublesome Truck #6 is called Oil Tanker Troublesome Truck #6 could imply that we might get other versions of it in the near future, like a Milk or Tar Tanker, as seen in Toad Stands By. Having a Tar Tanker with a face would be the perfect way to bring back the Tar Tanker, also killing two birds with one stone, like the Spiteful Brake Van did.

I still would like to see the Explosives Van, Chocolate Syrup and Toffee Tankers eventually find their way into HO Scale.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

ChrisLaRoxk

I for one are always gonna be excited for new release from Bachmann especially for the Thomas and Friends range I understand that this might sound repetitive but here are some of the upcoming announcements

HO Scale
Stepney
Daisy
BoCo
Well Wagon Reintroduction (labeled something like Search & Repair Center or Sodor Steamworks)
CGI Milk tanker Redesign
CGI Fuel Tanker Redesign
Toffee Tanker
Chocolate Tanker
Troublesome truck number 6
Resin buildings

Narrow Gauge

Peter Sam
Sir Handel
Brakevans (red and blue)
Brakedown Crane and flatbed (from Season 4)

N scale

Edward
James
Tankers
Red coaches

Large Scale

Edward
Diesel (With Grumpy Face)
Henrietta (with face)
Red coaches (Composite and Brake)
Flatbed trucks (With Boxes)

MasterOfTheLemons

Having seen the LBSC Thomas and Busy Bee James, I've got mixed feelings. I love the paintwork on Thomas, especially the glossy sheen, but I'm very disapointed about the face. It's notoriously one of Bachmann's least accurate faces, and if I'm going to buy a second, brand new Thomas, I shouldn't have to replace the face with something that resembles Thomas. It's similar with James, though his face is a bit better than Thomas's. I have to say though, I'd be WAY more likely to but a black James than a busy bee James. I'm a little baffled by the repaint choice.

Honestly, I think what the 75th anniversary really deserves is a new tooling, not just repaints of the range's earliest models. A landmark year like this only comes around every so often, and I think it deserves a really special character. I would absolutely LOVE to see a Stepney. I can guarantee I would buy that IMMEDIATELY! Considering I already have a Thomas and James, I don't think I can bring myself to buy second versions. But a new tooling of Stepney the Bluebell Engine is something I would absolutely jump at. I think they would fly off the shelves; there are many people who love Stepney, even beyond the Thomas fandom! Getting a Stepney would be an absolute dream come true, especially if he's produced at the right size. He should be about the same length as thomas, but smaller in proportion. His diminutive stature is a huge part of his charm! Nail that, and make him look as he does in the show, particularly the early seasons, and you can expect me to PREORDER that model. Repaints are all well and good, but brand new characters, especially fan favorites like Stepney, are what I jump at! Similarly, if Daisy looks accurate to her current CGI series design, I am absolutely getting her. You're on the right track with Daisy Bachmann, please make more new toolings of characters whose roots are in classic Thomas! Stepney. Will. SELL!!
A Bachmann Stepney is my greatest wish for the Thomas line!

GordonPacific04

Here's what I want:

HO Stepney - I initially thought he was too obscure to happen. However considering Bachmann acknowledged the fact that he was a popular request has given me hope. I seriously do think he is a possibility.

HO Tar Tankers reintroduced - they're very iconic considering the fact that they only had a big impact in one episode.

HO Classic Style Mail car reintroduced - I don't mind how the CGI ones look too much, however the older ones are definitely more nostalgic. They're hard to find nowadays and when you do find them, expect to pay a premium.

On30 Sir Handel - last of the main six, might as well round up the bunch.

GordonPacific04

I completely forgot that they didn't make Duncan yet. He'd be cool too.

Chaz

Seeing as how my black James post was very well received it seems that both he and Stepney are the top of the list in HO/OO.  Since I already did my post on black James it's time for me to share my thoughts on who I think should be the next narrow gauge engine Bachmann should introduce... Sir Handel!

So why should Bachmann introduce Sir Handel as their next narrow gauge engine and not Duncan (or any other narrow gauge engine for that matter)?  It all comes down right to the design of the character.  Out of all the remaining narrow gauge engines in the CGI series that Bachmann hasn't introduced yet, Sir Handel has by far the best design and I'll explain why below.

Unlike Rusty (and especially Duncan) Sir Handel's CGI design resembles the character very well as having a closer resemblance to his basis than the other remaining narrow gauge engines.  To add this design is also relatively simple to work with.  It wouldn't be as complicated as an engine like Luke as his valve gear and has a simple chassis to work with.  In addition, the details that Sir Handel does have on his render don't make him look plain or awkwardly disproportionate compared to some of the other narrow gauge engines in the current lineup like Duncan and Millie.

To add Sir Handel also offers a nice color contrast to the narrow gauge range as well as the Thomas brand as a whole - dark blue.  We've only had three blue engines in the whole Bachmann Thomas range but not for the narrow gauge range and the fact that it offers a different shade makes Sir Handel stand out on his own, in a good way.  

One additional piece that is also important is the fact that Sir Handel fills a missing number gap between Peter Sam and Rheneas being Engine #3 on the narrow gauge range.  I know it seems like a silly thing to point out but this really does make a huge difference for most fans (IE Donald and Douglas being announced before Duck causing a number gap between them and Toby).  

And finally fans will not only happily buy one Sir Handel model on his own for the character some fans might get creative and buy a few extra Sir Handel models to either attempt to make a model of his basis Sir Haydn like how people have done with Skarloey and Rheneas (and will likely do so with Peter Sam too).  

Plus fans also might be willing to buy extra Sir Handel models to make a model of Falcon by removing the nameplate and making a new one for the model allowing fans to have options, thus making the sales for Sir Handel skyrocket.  

Overall, once Peter Sam is nearing completion, or if Bachmann is looking for ideas for their next narrow gauge engine, without a doubt the safest road for Bachmann to take would be to make Sir Handel.  He's the top request for the narrow gauge range by a landslide for a reason and personally I think no other narrow gauge engine deserves to be made before him.  Sir Handel will in no doubt be well received once a model of him is announced and released and I hope that if he is not able to be announced at the NMRA (understandably with Peter Sam still in production) then I think he would make a perfect narrow gauge announcement on his own for 2021.  

Anyways time for some questions for you guys as well:

1. Would you buy a Bachmann Sir Handel?
2. How high of a priority do you think Sir Handel should take for the next narrow gauge engine?
3. How popular do you think a Bachmann Sir Handel will be?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts, I'll be posting a new "prediction list" later as well as some in depth thoughts on the next N scale engine(s)!
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TerencetheTractor525

A wonderful read, as always, Chaz! As for my answers to the questions:

1. Absolutely!
2. When considering which narrow gauge engine to announce after Peter Sam, there is no doubt that Sir Handel is the best choice for all the reasons stated. However, for the next new engine with a new tooling for the Thomas line across all scales, I would still state that Stepney should be the #1 priority, considering his popularity and the fact that it is the 75th Anniversary (I plan to make big post on Stepney in the coming weeks too ;)).
3. I have zero doubt that Sir Handel will be a hot seller, especially since his CGI render is one of the best.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

As usual Chaz has articulated a popular fan opinion in both a detailed and well-researched manner. I tried getting into the narrow gauge line years ago when they first announced Skarloey but the price barrier ended up prohibited me from being able to continue collecting the range, but given what I saw with Skarloey I feel comfortable to give my opinion on the argument in favor of Sir Handel's introduction into the range next. The points made by Chaz are pretty coherent, so I'd like to address his questions instead. Personally, I don't know if I would purchase a Sir Handel model, but again I don't collect the range so my personal opinion here should be taken with a grain of salt. The only NG engine I would ever consider/am considering purchasing is Peter Sam due to a personal and intimate connection that I have had with him since I was young. I think that making any other NG engine next instead of Sir Handel would be a huge misstep for Bachmann. I think even a choice like Duncan would be a mistake given the egregious errors in his CG render. A CG engine would be even worse imo as I think Bachmann should at least finish the original fleet of engines before even considering someone like Luke or Victor. I think that Sir Handel would be incredibly popular for the reasons stated by Chaz but particularly because of his color scheme, which may be a major selling point for more casual consumers looking into the range. Blue is the color of Thomas, after all!
Anyway, I think Sir Handel is a no-brainer for the next engine to be produced for the range, but before we think about him, I wanna see Peter Sam!