Bachmann Thomas & Friends July 2020 NMRA Predictions

Started by TerencetheTractor525, February 13, 2020, 12:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailwayRoundhouse

Interesting points about Stepney you made Terence, all of which I agree with. In response to the questions you posted here are my thoughts:

1: Yes, I would most definitely buy a Bachmann Stepney.
2: Going off his popularity with Thomas Fans and Railway Enthusiasts alike, I see Stepney being extremely popular personally.
3: No, I don't believe there's another tank engine that would be a better suggestion then Stepney. I think this because of the character's popularity and simple yet charming tooling that wouldn't be too hard to make compared with other engines in the show.

Legomastr 365

A lot of good points were definitely brought up in your post.
1. I would certainly buy a Stepney! Might even buy a second just to customize it!
2. Seeing how well Stepney merchandise does, I think this would be a hot item. Hornby did release the A1X Terriers with a Stepney livery that promptly sold out. I was lucky to grab one, but I'm still waiting on a model of Stepny w/ face.
3. Probably only Ryan due to the face that he's a popular character. I would buy both, but I'm a Stepney fanatic. My phone case has Stepney on it!

GordonPacific04

Very good points. Though I find the fact that it's the 75th anniversary this year is irrelevant. Because considering we got LBSC Thomas and Daisy, it would be impossible for them to complete Stepney this year. Considering Oliver was announced in 2015 and released in 2017. Also, Stepney doesn't really represent Thomas & Friends as a whole, and neither did Oliver. Although he was a VERY highly requested character. Other then that, Stepney is very possible, considering Bachmann acknowledged him.

Anthony P2

Very good points! i have also seen people ask about where they can get a Hornby Stepney. Bachmann introducing Stepney would definitely be an advantage to them because it would be a more readily available. A R2R model of Stepney is basically unavailable for a reasonable price. Although i do think it maight also be a challenge for Bachmann. Do to his size, there will be limited space inside the shell. Plus with the T&F range being launched in more countries, the range has to comply with their toy standards in addition to the upgrades with DCC compatibility. I also think that with the COVID-19 crisis, we may not see Stepney as soon as we might expect.

To answer the questions you posted, here are my thoughts:
1.) I would definitely purchase a Bachmann Stepney. I've been meaning to purchase Oliver and Rosie for a while (I has taken a break from the Bachmann range in favor of other OO scale models, but I convinced myself that I want need them in my life xD) I'm also eyeing up that LBSC Thomas...but I digress!
2.) To continue with the launch of the range overseas, Stepney will be more recognizable to UK fans. Since other manufacturers that have produced Terrier models have not yet introduced "real" Stepney, and the novelty aspect of a "Thomas" Stepney will be a welcome addition for layouts at train shows. As for here in the US, I think it will definitely be well receptive among older fans and possibly newer ones too.
3.) As much as I would want a Stepney, I can also see a number of other ones coming either before or right after him, these characters include Ryan, Sidney, and even Rebecca. Ryan and Rebecca would add some variety to younger audiences who easily recognize them. Rebecca would be the first tender engine since Donald and Douglas. Sidney would honestly be an economical choice for Bachmann solely due to the fact he will reuse the basic Diesel/Paxton/08 shunter tooling in order for Bachmann to aid in recovery from the COVID-19 blow...that is if they're hurting from this.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Always love reading eloquently written, well-thought out posts such as yours, Terence, and I really hope someone influential at Bachmann is taking a look at this forum every once in a while!

Now, for your questions:
1. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I would gleefully purchase a Bachmann Stepney. I have never been as eager to (presumably) purchase an engine as I would be for Stepney with the one exception of Oliver, who I preordered nearly two years before his release. I would even go so far as to say that if my budget allowed, I'd be willing to purchase TWO models of Stepney, one to run on the circle of track I currently have and one to remain unopened as a shelf piece. That is how committed I am to the production of a Bachmann Stepney...
2. I've previously spoken on the probaility of a Stepney model being popular amongst not only fans but also serious collectors, rail enthusiasts, and even casual collectors. For all the reasons you outlined I cannot see a market where Stepney wouldn't be a hot commodity and I truly think Bachmann is shooting themselves in the foot by not producing Stepney and tapping into a highly profitable revenue stream.
3. I think unless the hand of Mattel says otherwise, Bachmann has no other viable choice but to produce Stepney as the next SG engine. The only possible contender who might precede him would be Boco, but due to Daisy's announcement (long green diesel) and the limited support I've seen for him, I highly doubt they would make that decision.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

TerencetheTractor525

Thank you very much for the feedback guys! I really do appreciate it. These positive responses are making me more hopeful that Stepney will be announced soon, maybe even this July if we are lucky. Overall, with all our hard work regarding why Stepney truly is the best candidate for a new HO Thomas engine, let's hope that the licencor can agree to this. Not only would Stepney's announcement make us Thomas fans ecstatic, but it would also help Bachmann with strong sales. Thank you very much again, and I look forward to seeing more thoughts :).
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Toad139

Very in debt post post!

1. Yes, I would definitely buy a Stepney model.
2. Considering how popular classic characters seem to be, it's safe too assume that Bachmann Stepney would sell well.
3. Stepney is one of the few standard gauge tank engines that I would actually be excited for. I only really care for model series characters, and even popular characters such as Ryan just wouldn't be as interesting to me personally.

JLK2707

Zekeism

I know a black James would be cool to have, but am I the only person who thinks a repaint of the same character two years in a row a bit overkill?

Maybe in about three years, I would be ok with that repaint.

Yellow Rheneas would be pretty cool, if they are willing to do repaints of the Narrow Gauge Engines.
Proud Bachmann Thomas Collector.

Chaz

Quote from: Zekeism on April 03, 2020, 08:56:42 AM
I know a black James would be cool to have, but am I the only person who thinks a repaint of the same character two years in a row a bit overkill?

The thing is, is that we should have gotten the black James instead of the Busy Bee James in the first place, so it's understandable why there's more of a push for a black James than ever.  Especially with the LBSC Thomas coming out.

If anything, Busy Bee James was "overkill".
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Angelob6660

I wonder if it will be overkill if Henry was painted blue after coming out of the tunnel to match Gordon and Edward as good friends. But the problem will be his new shape after the kipper accident.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Zekeism

Quote from: Chaz on April 03, 2020, 01:55:17 PM

The thing is, is that we should have gotten the black James instead of the Busy Bee James in the first place, so it's understandable why there's more of a push for a black James than ever.  Especially with the LBSC Thomas coming out.

I do agree we should have gotten black James first, I just don't really want two James repaints in a row, I'd be ok with it being a couple of years apart, but would could have seen a different engine repainted, such as Scrapped Oliver & Toad.

Chaz

Quote from: Zekeism on April 05, 2020, 08:59:41 AM
Quote from: Chaz on April 03, 2020, 01:55:17 PM

I do agree we should have gotten black James first, I just don't really want two James repaints in a row, I'd be ok with it being a couple of years apart, but would could have seen a different engine repainted, such as Scrapped Oliver & Toad.

I understand where you are coming from, but I feel that's not really much of a strong reason for a black James to not be the next engine recolor, because again that's what we should have gotten instead of the Busy Bee James in the first place and its understandable why a lot of people are still pushing for it.  I'm not sure if you read my post a few pages back on why I think Black James should be the next repaint and should take top priority in that regard but I would encourage you to check that out as well as all the other responses behind why a Black James should still be considered even if it may sound redundant.  A lot of people would still want a black James and would buy it to go along with their upcoming LBSC Thomas models and you don't really see people getting that excited over the Busy Bee James.

Mattel, ironically enough is still making toys of the Black James such as the recent push along and Minis James toys and I still wouldn't rule out Bachmann to do the same thing.  That, and at this point I feel that any other engine recolors like scrap painted engines or other one time episode repainted engines like a Percy covered in chocolate or blue Bill and Ben (random examples off the top of my head), wouldn't really work as far as making sales Bachmann would need.  Busy Bee James is likely going to be a peg warmer like the celebration Thomas was and I feel that any other engine recolor that isn't the black James is going to be the exact same way.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Angelob6660

I thought about this recolor that may or may not work.

Or perhaps a simple repaint of their black wheels to red will work better.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Zekeism

Quote from: Angelob6660 on April 08, 2020, 11:24:58 AM
I thought about this recolor that may or may not work.

Or perhaps a simple repaint of their black wheels to red will work better.

Did the Thomas Team ever explain why they changed Bill & Ben's wheel to red?