Antiques — what do I do with them?

Started by KBG, February 15, 2020, 12:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KBG

Greetings Train Community,

In cleaning out my great-uncle's home, I've come across a box of very old trains and train parts including individually boxed (original boxes) of Bachman 1860 Old Timers N scale.

I've no idea what to do with these or where to take them. Help would be appreciated!

(I've also found other brands and a full Lionel Electric set...)

I've tried unsuccessfully to include photos...

Trainman203

These trains are not antiques.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,21665.0.html

eBay is probably the best place to sell.  All your trains have been there already.  You'll quickly find what they are, or are not, worth.

Maletrain

The 3 usual ways of disposing of old train sets from another family member are (in no particular order):
1. Try to sell them on eBay
2.  Sell them to an "estate buyer" who specialize in model trains
3.  Donate them to a local model railroad club for them to sell at a "white elephant table" at their club or train show, with proceeds going to support the club.

You can get an idea what your item will sell for on eBay by searching for the same item (by name or product number) and seeing what they actually sell for.  (Don't just look at what other sellers are asking, because some of the asking prices are ludicrous, and those listings are sometimes on there for a year without selling.)  Typically, old N scale stuff does not sell for much if it sells at all.  On the other hand, some old Lionel stuff sells for surprisingly high prices.  It just depends on the particular items.  There are a few old N scale items that still sell for decent prices, and some Lionel stuff can't be given away.  And, remember that the highest price something sells for on eBay is what only 2 people think it is worth.  Sometimes the third highest bidder is not willing to pay anything like the final bid price.  You can get an idea of how many people value an item by looking at the amounts bid by all of the bidders.

RAM

Now Lionel Electric set are great for passing down to kids or grand kids

CNE Runner

Maletrain has given you some excellent suggestions. My wife and I have 'vendored' at numerous train shows for years (we now only do 1 show per year). Frankly, the sale of model trains is chancy at best. Old Lionel trains are almost not worth the table space they take up. Old "antique" N or HO-scale trains aren't much better. We have an "under $3" box that holds numerous 'treasures'...most of which we take back home. [BTW I will not sell broken items.] The problem with eBay is that the buyer has to pay shipping. Many times the shipping costs are more than the item! Do you see where I am going with this?

Each year (after the show) we donate some of our 'overstock' to a local thrift store (owned by our local Hospice). Good luck with your situation. Oh, another 'throw away' are the piles of brass (and old Lionel 3-rail) track one accumulates at garage sales.

The next time you are at a model railroad show, take a look at the attendees. In all likelihood they all have gray hair (or none at all). Younger modelers (if there is such a thing) are definitely in the minority. Those aforementioned 'gray hairs' (all male BTW) have the disposable income to afford the 'nicer stuff'. All the best to you.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jonathan

Funny.... I used to be one of the young guys at train shows. Now I'm one of the "gray hairs".

Scary.

Good to see you still around, Ray. Haven't seen a CNE Runner post in forever.

Agree to all above. Unless you have brass, or Heinz pickle cars, it'll cost you more in overhead to sell it, than what it's worth. Just sayin

Regards,

Jonathan

CNE Runner

Hi Jonathan - Gosh you are so right...it has been a very long time since I have posted on this forum. I was 'cleaning out' some old bookmarks and decided to see what was going on in the 'Bachman world'. So many of the old 'regulars' have gone on their final ride. I will make every effort to not be 'missing in action'.

The Monks Island Railway is now the Monks Island Railway & Navigation Co. You probably remember the original Monks Island was a 60" x 11" shunting plank (Phase I). With time, all things change and the M.I.Ry. is one of them. I now 'inhabit' our ex-guest room and Phase II of the M.I.Ry. grew to 144" x 15" (I added the other end of Monks Island: Sweethaven). The Island Commissioners decided to expand the layout by adding 2 - 48" x 24" extensions on either end (hence Phase III). The left-hand extension houses a complete harbor scene - featuring a small, two-car ferry (the railway's connection to the outside world). The right-hand extension houses a lighthouse and a row of houses (the Monks Island residents have to live somewhere). Switching (shunting) is still my modus operandi and the layout continues to keep me busy.

I send my best to all of you forum members. I still get outstanding service from my two Bachmann GE45 tonners. If you are still having your trains 'chase their tails'; why not give small, switching layouts a chance? On the original Monks Island Railway, I could keep you busy for at least an hour (and that would have been a relatively easy switching problem).

Keep em rolling,
Ray
[What little hair is left on my 'hill' is definitely white.]
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"