News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0 derailment fix

Started by Terry Toenges, February 16, 2020, 02:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I was having issues with the new 4-4-0 derailing at times on turnouts. It was pretty bad on #5's. I took my #5 out and replaced it with #4 and it only derailed a couple times on the #4. These things are so light, it doesn't take much for them to get off track.
I took the stack off and removed the cap from it. I glued some split shot in there. A large one at the bottom of the cone and three smaller ones around the top. I had a stack from an older Bachmann 4-4-0 in which the cap had a metal screen instead of a solid piece of plastic like the new one. I colored that black and put the old cap on the new stack. I thought the old cap looked better. The original cap is on the left and the cap from the old loco is in place on the new loco.

I took the pony truck off and ground down a piece of weight to fit on it and glued it. I just ran it to make sure it wasn't interfering with movement anywhere. I colored the weight black so it isn't noticeable.

Between the weight in the stack and weight on the pony truck, it works great. Good solid tracking now.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

graywolf

Was this video taken before you added weight to the pilot? It sure seems as though the pilot is the problem. Also there is an exaggerated lift to the engine as it goes over the turnout. I would think the Bachmann turnouts are not the best quality. Can you bring you 4-4-0 to a friends layout that uses better turnouts to see how it reacts?

Terry Toenges

That was before I added the weight. I'll have to put the #5 back in and see if it made a difference with that. I did the video before I replaced the #5 with #4.  I was fed up with the #5's.
My Pocher 2-4-0 had problems with the first two #5's because of it's deeper flanges. That's why I had to file the frogs on them. It never had any problem with the new #5 so there is some inconsistency with the frog depth on the #5's. Here's a short clip of the 2-4-0 on the new #5. I took this video when I was doing the 4-4-0 stuff, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e79I09wmXI0
I don't know anyone with a layout down here. I'm far removed from the big city. I only know one person up that way that has trains. It's an hour and twenty minute drive from here through all that traffic.  I hate traffic. Once we moved down here I was relieved to be away from it. I told everyone that, now, a traffic jam to me is ten cars on Main Street.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I just tried the #5's with the weight added and there was no real change. I'll put up video later on.
I was hoping for the best but no such luck. It still does the best on the first #5 with only the frog filed. Only a couple mess ups on that one. It still does terrible with the new #5 with no mods. The middle #5 is a mixed bag.
I put my #4 back in and I'll stay with that. I had a couple mess ups with the #4 before the weight. I just now ran the 4-4-0 for quite a while with the #4 in and nary a hiccup. The weight seemed to help where the #4 is concerned.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Here's some video of the 4-4-0 and the newest #5 with no mods.
It's very frustrating. With the weight, I figured if it was the pony truck causing the problem, the extra weight would help keep it in place when making the turn on the turnout. If it was the front driver causing the problem, the extra weight in front would help keep that front driver down. I was wrong. Neither one helped.
https://youtu.be/o5dZcSinmbs
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I put the #4 turnout back in.
For comparison, here's a video with the 4-4-0 and the deep flanged 2-4-0 going over the #4 turnout. No problems here although it's not the diverging leg. I'll try that tomorrow. It's probably just as good to keep the straight leg on the loop anyway. I don't have a right hand #5.
https://youtu.be/93je0d3Puuw
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I ran a bunch of laps today with both of them on the diverging leg of the #4 and not a single derailment.
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku