News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Roundhouse or Bachamnn 4-4-0

Started by sparkyjay31, December 22, 2007, 09:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparkyjay31

Ok guys convince me.  Why should I spend the same money for a Bachmann 4-4-0 that I need to spend an additional $80 - $120 to install sound in if I can get a Roundhouse 4-4-0 with sound already installed?
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

japasha

Put the locomotives next to each other and study the detail. It should be obvious that the Bachmann is the better detailed locomotive. The Bachmann is cheaper and has no noisemaker. Go for the detail and add whatever noisemaker you want.

The Roundhouse is based on an earlier 2-6-0 model that was very spartan in detail and just an okay runner.

If you want the look of the Bachmann as is, then buy it and add sound.
If you need to super detail your own particular look then consider the Roundhouse.
Detail then add sound or sound then add detail. You decide.

sparkyjay31

Does Bachmann plan to introduce these with the sound already from the factory?

Why does this particular Spectrum model not have it already added?  It seems that all the other Spectrum's do.
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

richG

Quote from: sparkyjay31 on December 22, 2007, 09:11:51 PM
Ok guys convince me.  Why should I spend the same money for a Bachmann 4-4-0 that I need to spend an additional $80 - $120 to install sound in if I can get a Roundhouse 4-4-0 with sound already installed?

The Roundhouse is not as well detailed as the Spectrum. I have both.
The Roundhouse decoder can be troublesome. To keep the cost down. they went with the cheap for decoder.
The Spectrum is ready for sound, that is a speaker opening. I suspect keeping it cheap was the reason for no sound.
The Roundhouse is much better with a SoundTraxx Micro-Tsunami decoder, sound and speed control.
The same goes for the Roundhouse 2-6-0 and I suspect the 2-8-0 old timer will be the same.
I buy only DCC ready and install my own speaker and decoder.

I would have bought the Spectrum DCC ready only but it is not available. I removed the stock decoder and installed my own decoder and speaker.

It all depends on what you want. Yes, it is a little expensive and I refuse to do a rant about these issues. I would rather do model railroad modeling. Much more satisfaction than a rant.
Remember something people find offensive, the companies want to make a profit.

Rich

grumpy

The Roundhouse 4-4-0 is anice running engine with good sound. It is sparse in detail. It will cost less to add some detail than it will to add sound.
Don

Pacific Northern

I would be most hesitant if considering the Roundhouse. While the engine itself may be acceptable (after detailing) the sound/dcc is the MRC and has a iffy at best reputation.
Pacific Northern

robertjohndavis

I have both, and have run the wheels off them this year. Here are the considerations I would give you:

1. Which is closer to your prototype? They represent build dates about 20 years apart (Roundhouse being the earlier).

2. What do you want to do with it? The Roundhouse is a very good runner and very forgiving of bad track. The Bachmann also runs well, but is less forgiving.

3. Sound. I do not like the MRC sounds. I put a Tsunami in my Bachmann. It is OK. I can't wait for the QSI after market system. My other Bachmann 4-4-0 will get that.

4. DCC motor control. The Bachmann chip (no sound) is very nice. The MRC chip seems to be unstable and likes to reset itself, not respond, or just "do its own thing."

Overall, you need to buy a decoder for EITHER of these if you want good sound.

Thus, the only difference I see is that the Roundhouse already has a speaker in it.

I fit a full sized Tsunami and a 1" speaker in the Bachmann tender, BTW.

Rob Davis

woodburner

The Bachmann version is a scale model of an actual engine, with excellent detailing.  It runs nicely, keeps the track, and looks great in motion.  It's protype design was built by the Richmond Locomotive Works for over ten years, from 1893 to 1904.  Engines of the same plan were produced by other builders at the same time. 

The Roundhouse 4-4-0 is modifed from a 1907 Baldwin 2-8-0 consolidation, so the sandbox is far ahead of its normal place for a 4-4-0.  Some versions have "old time" beaded domes, generally not be used on engines of this type. 

A lot of people like to add their own sound, and enjoy customizing their engines this way. 

Hope this helps,

Jim

robertjohndavis

I stand corrected on the Roundhouse build date. Didn't realize that its origins were as late as 1907.

sparkyjay31

The Roundhouse is a closer example of what I'm modeling, which is B&M #494 currently residing in VT.  It looks like I'd actually have to do more work to the Bachmann ( Oil lamp, misc. details, adding sound, etc. ).  A little detail and some graphite paint on the boiler and the Roundhouse is pretty close.

I can live with either, so I need to flip a coin.
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

Johnson Bar Jeff

I'm coming late to this discussion because I'm new to the community here, but I just got my Spectrum eight-wheeler (unlettered, Russia Iron with pinstripes), and I love her! She's a beaut!

I've looked at those Roundhouse old-timers from time to time over the years, and their valve chests don't look right to me.  :-\

sparkyjay31

Unfortunately for Bachmann I went the way of least resistance.  I purchased the Roundhouse 4-4-0 unmarked with dcc and sound already installed.  It may not be a Tsunami, but that little engine is very nice.  I added my own B&M markings.  I have no complaints.  It simply came down to the all mighty dollar for me.  I could not justify double the cost for a Spectrum with the Tsunami added.   A little weathering here and there, and she looks and sounds great. 
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: sparkyjay31 on January 09, 2008, 07:14:39 AM
Unfortunately for Bachmann I went the way of least resistance.  I purchased the Roundhouse 4-4-0 unmarked with dcc and sound already installed.  It may not be a Tsunami, but that little engine is very nice.  I added my own B&M markings.  I have no complaints.  It simply came down to the all mighty dollar for me.  I could not justify double the cost for a Spectrum with the Tsunami added.   A little weathering here and there, and she looks and sounds great. 

I hear you, Sparky. To be frank about it, my engine came from eBay--at less than half the web site list price. I have to admit I was very surprised to win that auction. No offense to Bachmann, but I would not have bought it at the list retail price.