News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 Squeals on Curves

Started by RailMan63, February 21, 2020, 07:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailMan63

Hi,all. I have a problem with my 4-6-0. It's squealing when it goes around the curves. It started doing this on the 18 inch radius curves, so I bought a set of 22 inch radius curves in an attempt to stop the squeal.
Well,it's still squealing on the curves.
So, what's going on? Is the radius still too small? Or is there a problem with this locomotive? I already tried lubing and cleaning it ,but nothing changed.
Do any of you know what's going on?
Also, I'm concerned about the little plug wires possibly breaking when I unplug them. I found a 4-6-0 locomotive set up on Ebay. Do you know if the plugs for the HO scale 4-6-0 will fit the On30 model?
Thanks!

J. S. Bach

Is it the actual locomotive mechanism that is squealing or the flanges on the rails? Real trains do squeal on curves.
Later Gator,

Dave

"A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money. Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussels sprouts never do." ~P.J. O'Rourke

RailMan63

It's just the wheel flanges as it doesn't do in on the straights. Only the curves. Kind of annoying, but I guess that if it's only the flanges causing the squealing then everything is fine. Just kind of n annoying sound.
Thanks

Anubis

You might like to try the merest smear of WD40 on the inside edge of the rails, applied with a cotton Q-tip.

This should give a bit of relief, and as long as you don't over-apply it, should not affect the traction or running.

Just a thought.

Happy running!!!

;)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession