News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Dummy Knuckle coupler solutions???

Started by skipgear, December 14, 2007, 02:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipgear

My experience with these couplers so far as been on the J-class, the H16-44, and the new Spectrum Vanderbuilt tenders and it is less than stellar. I applaud the move to knuckle couplers but it would be nice if we could actually use them.

What exactly are these supposed to couple too? They are mounted so low that they barely touch a microtrains coupler height gauge. They couple with less than a 1/3rd of the knuckles making contact and do not stay coupled.

For our customers that have bought J's with the Con-cor passenger sets, I have found it easiest to just swap the tender back to a rapido. The stock knuckle won't mate with a Microtrains truck properly.  The same is true with the H16-44. On my vanderbuilt tenders (I bought 5) I haven't even begun to figure out what is the best cure. They will have knuckles on them eventually but certainly not the Bachmanns.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

tweetsieengineer

I just installed some of the same couplers on a set of old timer passenger cars, and they did not match up very well to any of my engines or cars. But i have recently read those couplers come in different heights and lengths such as low high or in the middle, i think i got the high ones.  I think the couplers are fine if you have a set of cars like passenger cars that are not separated much or even sets of diesels that run together. 

I am actually thinking now about changing the entire truck to micro trains, for some reason the metal wheels seem to make the cars sit to high. Plus they seem a bit tight to roll.

has anyone ever changed out the old time passenger coach trucks to MT, if so what versions have you used?

thanks

Tim

Tim Smith,