News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spring for Climax track pickup plunger

Started by Waikiki968, February 25, 2020, 02:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waikiki968

Hi all,

My trusty old Climax needs new springs for the wheel pickup plungers (https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_641&products_id=8301 -- sold out).  Bachmann parts does not have this spring and suggested I post here to see if anyone has a source. 

Thanks.

Keith

g-guage_trains

Greg Elmassian

The Kadees are pretty low tension springs, not sure they are strong enough for the wheel plungers.

Have you tried them yourself? Perhaps the springs from a ball point pen, but kind of small in diameter.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Mike

When I had that spring problem with my 45 ton, I went to the local hardware store and described my problem. A sharp young clerk went to her locksmith equipment and we found a couple of springs which have worked very well. And since I was using them on a model railroad engine, she refused any payment! I'll definitely go back to that store! Good luck with your loco.-MS

jviss

Mike's solution is brilliant! 

One would think a determined materials manager could contact their loco supplier and just ask to purchase a 1000 of these springs.  How hard could that be?  How much could that cost?  Or even 100?

Failing that, with a fairly simple specification one could source them otherwise. 

They might even be in stock at a spring supplier.

Here's a challenge.  Can someone who has this spring, or needs it, or wants spares supply this information?

outer diameter
free length
rate
load
deflection (distance traveled)
total coils
solid height
inner diameter
wire diameter

That's nine parameters that describe a coil spring fairly well.  The material is missing, let's see what's available in what.  I'll tell you if I can find it in stock somewhere, and if not, I'll get a quote to make them.

jv
Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Pennsylvania Railroad Set - generation 3 locomotive
Emmet Kelly Circus set - generation 3 locomotive
Open Streetcar
4-6-0 D&RGW "Bumblebee" Anniversary loco
various passenger cars and rolling stock
indoor, temporary at this point
DCC: Digitraxxxxx Super Chief Xtra 8A

StanAmes

I have been doing a spring upgrade on some other locos and likely have some if you need them.

I buy springs at two sources but unfortunately they are very expensive in small quantities.

Send me an email if you still need them.

Stan Ames