News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

returning to HO

Started by dce, February 22, 2020, 03:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dce

I am rebuilding my old HO setup--converting to DCC and 83 scale track.
I have an old (bought in late 1980s) Bachmann 2-8-0 Loco w/smoke (part number 654, Great Northern).  Are there any part lists or exploded views available? Maintenance guides?
How hard would it be to convert to DCC?  Is it expensive or worthwhile?
Thanks for any help or guidance.

Hunt

Few parts if any and  no online information available from Bachmann for that old locomotive.

Click Here from hoseeker.net website - this maybe the same or similar to the locomotive you have.

A DCC decoder can be installed in almost any HO locomotive that runs well if you have the mechanical and electrical aptitude. However,  the Bachmann locomotive you have is a very poor candidate to equip with a DCC decoder.   Time and money better spent purchasing a factory equipped DCC (with sound if you prefer) locomotive.

Click Here to see what is required for a Bachmann HO DC  2-8-0 that was designed and manufactured with conversion to DCC in mind.  Use as general information as the decoder and speaker used have been discontinued and replaced with an updated version.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

Hunt indicates it will be quite a job. Looks like it has a pancake motor.
I have done the pancake motor Bachmann non sound but a challenge and not very reliable. Poor pickups.
Decoders cannot operate smoke units, plus messy if it still works.
Sound value can be obtained for about $200. I have checked online. Micro Mark is one place.

You can find them without sound for much less if you know how to shop online. Others will have suggestions. Buy new.
Good luck. The 2-8-0 is a good runner.

Rich

dragonbusa

I just had a bottle of smoke juice in my hand and almost thru it in the trash, that stuff makes a heck of a mess on the track and lay out. Kinda stinks to LOL! 

jward

I think you'll find that most new locomotives run light years better than any but the best from 30 years ago. And anything marketed as dcc ready will have the pickup issues solved already.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA