News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need Guidance

Started by Joead48, February 26, 2020, 12:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joead48

Started my HO layout and looking to expand it. I have the EZ Command Control. Question can you connect a second EZ Command Control. I want to use DCC switches. If I add these to the existing EZ Command Control it will limit the number of engines I can add. If I can't, I assume the alternative is to upgrade the control system. Any information or guidance is appreciated.

WoundedBear

Upgrade your control system.

Sid

rich1998

That way you can also change CV's something you cannot do now.

Rich

jward

WHat the others said, but i'd add that you should do research before you buy. Some entry level DCC systems have full programming features but limited current capacity. Often these systems can be used as part of an upgraded system in the future. In my case, my command station can support several add on throttles, run up to 20 addresses at the same time (as long as current capacity is not exceeded) and is fully compatable with the same manufacturer's infrared and radio handheld throttles. Best of all, it can be configured as a booster if i ever decide to upgrade to a more advanced system.

The cost of such a system isn't alot more than what your EZ command cost, yet it will do what you want it to do and a whole lot more.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Gearedenginefreak

One more thing to consider about a new system. If you belong to a club, or think you might join a club later, consider what they are using - check with your local hobby shop if you have one and they can give you club information in your area.  If you get a system compatible with a local clubs's system, you automatically have a good reference group for helping you figure yours out and tweaking it. And you may be able to use your throttle at the club if they allow it.

Just some thoughts....

Tom

Joead48

Thanks to all for your reply. Joe

Trainman203

EZ command is essentially intended for DCC train sets running just one engine.  For 200 or so you can acquire a more advanced system that can accommodate multiple engines plus change CV values, such as whistle choice and also improve motor performance.  Keep the EZ command to supply constant voltage AC for accessories, or give it to a kid starting out.  Move on past it like I did, you'll never regret it.

rich1998

Quote from: Gearedenginefreak on February 26, 2020, 08:06:31 PM
One more thing to consider about a new system. If you belong to a club, or think you might join a club later, consider what they are using - check with your local hobby shop if you have one and they can give you club information in your area.  If you get a system compatible with a local clubs's system, you automatically have a good reference group for helping you figure yours out and tweaking it. And you may be able to use your throttle at the club if they allow it.

Just some thoughts....

Tom

That could be important.

I almost went with Digitrax until I found out my club went to NCE from DC when I was away.
I bought the Power Cab and could take the hammerhead to the club and run train.

Rich