News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EMD F9 Diesel gear - 9907 / 9907-1

Started by joelspangler, January 07, 2020, 03:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joelspangler

Hi all.  I found my n-scale kit from when I grew up (mid 80's) and was excited to get it rolling again.  Unfortunately, the gears sandwiched between the wheels are all cracked so the wheels don't turn.  I have verified the motor itself is fine, but it just can't do it's job due to the cracked gears (it's hard to turn manually by hand past the cracks).    Does anyone supply these gears - they're labeled 9907 "Gears and Pin Set" on the spare parts list, and on the exploded view it's labeled as 9907-1.   Bachmann parts department verified they don't have a replacement, but I was hoping someone has come up with an aftermarket part that works.

I did buy a newer set to play with (McKinley Explorer), but I'd REALLY love to get this engine running again for nostalgia's sake.

joelspangler

Thanks, but if it is as pictured, this isn't the correct part.  The gear I need is completely centered (Pictured is offset).  Also, the axles on the linked wheels look a little thicker than what's on my engine.  I think the part they have might be for a newer (or older) generation.  The parts diagram they have in the f9 section is the generation that I own.

I guess if nothing else comes up, I can always try to order these and hope it isn't exactly as pictured.

NscaleNut

Well, I think you may be right about the older generation thing.
Let me ask you some questions:

1) is there a gas tank with one screw holding it on?

2) when looking at the bottom, can you see a gap between the two halves of the chassis?

3) if there are two halves of the chassis, is there a "square notch" missing in the gas tank area?

4) are the pickups rivited to the wheel housing?

5) are the gears black or white?

********** OR*******
Can you post a picture of the bottom of the engine?

I may be able to help you out with parts.

James in FL

A couple of thoughts,
The gears you seek are going on 40 yrs. old.
To find any in good condition (not cracked) is low probability, these could come from a donor lokie from perhaps eBay or from a fellow modeler.
Still don't know what condition you will get other than 40 yr. old gears.
That's going to be a gamble you may, or may not, be willing to take.

You can search N scale parts on the bay.

Another option that may be worth considering is from NWSL.
You will need some calipers and have to know center bore diameter, outside diameter, and tooth count.
Then call and ask them if they have anything compatible.
Were it me, that would be my first choice.
I have some old trucks, maybe the gear you need, dunno, have a look.

joelspangler

I took some pics, but am not entirely sure how to share them - the built-in feature on the forums doesn't seem to work. 

The trucks do look exactly like James in FL just posted... except for the gears in-between the weels are cracked and quite yellowed compared to his.

To answer NScaleNut's questions:
1 - no
2 - yes
3 - yes
4 - no
5 - white

James in FL

PM me your Addy, you can have them, but understand no guarantee to condition. No charge. I really don't have the time to disassemble them and examine them properly.

joelspangler

pm sent - overwhelmed at the offer.  As stated in the PM - please send me your email so I can paypal you a few bucks to cover shipping.

If anyone does come up with a source of these gears, please post as I'm guessing others will eventually find this thread and be disappointed at not having an amazing friendly source like James to send you parts.

James in FL

joelspangler

Sorry for taking so long to update on the outcome of the gears from James in FL.  I received and the parts pretty quickly and had them installed by Jan 16th.  I took the video linked below the day I got it working, but kept avoiding figuring out how to upload it to youtube.  The engine is still working - I'm not sure if when I put it in storage again if I'll pull the wheels out of the gears, or if I keep it in a temp controlled environment, cracking won't happen (I believe the cracking happens due to the plastic gear and the metal axle expanding/contracting at different rates).  If anyone has advice on how to best keep this engine in storage, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thanks again to Jame in FL for the gears - it made my day (several times) to see this train running again.

https://youtu.be/BVu0ptcMqCw