News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Trench Loco Firebox Flicker

Started by gnfan, February 27, 2020, 06:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnfan

i have been trying to get the "firebox flicker" to work on two trench locos.  I can get them into "light mode" and then when I press F1 nothing happens. I cannot see any lights in the firebox inside the cab or underneath the locomotives. I turned off the room lights to improve my chances of seeing the feature,

Press F8 2x Press rotate light/sound mode or page. I hear the "light mode activated" voice.
Press F1 to turn on the firebox flicker and I don't see any lights flickering or otherwise. (the bell sound DOES NOT play some one assumes the mode is set right.)

If I go into page 2 or 3 of the decoder functions those wok when F1 is pressed.

Any ideas? I figure the flicker should be seen inside the cab but I don't see any lights.

I did do a general internet search but didn't find anything

Anyone get this to work? How?

Thanks,

DavidB

p51

David,
It's not just you. I did exactly the same thing countless times on mine, for the very same reasons.
I've posted the question on firebox glow/flicker elsewhere online, but of course it's people wildly guessing, none of whom own one.
Here, where I expected people would know how to handle it, nobody replied at all: https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,36457.0.html
The instructions are clearly written for the trench loco, yet as far as I can tell, the flicker doesn't work.
Too bad because I really got excited about that. I've seen other people have flicker on their fireboxes and it looks great!
-Lee

Ton N

I have one and i tried to stoke the fire also.
Nothing happened.
So it looks like the quick reference guide is wrong.
there is no firebox flicker.
Ton

gnfan

As near as I can tell there is not even an LED in the firebox or any place to put one. I looked over the parts drawings and the only LEDs are the front and rear headlights. It would seem that the documentation was done before the plans and before  factory got working on it. The documentation never got changed to reflect what was actually produced. To bad because the flicker would be a neat effect.

DavidB

Ton N

The whole documentation around this model is a bit messy.
If you go to the TCS site and then to the documentation you will find that the documentation about this model will come soon.
https://tcsdcc.com/index.php/documentation
When was this model released by Bachmann???
Maybe it is up to Bachmann to give TCS a kick up their backside to hurry up.
It's not good for the brand name Bachmann.

Ton

p51

Quote from: gnfan on February 28, 2020, 10:22:25 AMAs near as I can tell there is not even an LED in the firebox or any place to put one. I looked over the parts drawings and the only LEDs are the front and rear headlights. It would seem that the documentation was done before the plans and before  factory got working on it. The documentation never got changed to reflect what was actually produced. To bad because the flicker would be a neat effect.
I just looked into it myself and I agree with you fully. It doesn't appear that they ever put anything into the fireboxes for a flicker at all.
Such a shame. The sound on these is really good, and the flicker would have really put it over the top for an out of the box steam engine...
-Lee

Terry Toenges

I heard that you have to be in the misty moonlight for it to work.  ;)
Feel like a Mogul.

charon

Why hasn't the Bach-man responded to these posts?
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

p51

-Lee

Terry Toenges

https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=487_673_1129&products_id=7110&zenid=840ko9s6p4bu3bmoeiurt2lkd4
On the right side under "DOCUMENTATION", both of those links mention it.
Page 6 on the "Trench Engine Quick Start Guide"
On the "WowSound Comprehensive Programming Guide" it's on Page 6, Page 7, and Page 8.
Feel like a Mogul.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
There is no flicker- it was an error in the documentation.
Sorry!
the Bachman

the Bach-man

A bit of clarification:
The flicker wasn't advertised as a feature; it was accidentally copied
from another Quick Start guide.
We're working on a corrected copy.
Sorry for the confusion!
the Bach-man

p51

Well, at least we know what happened now.
That explains why the ad copy for these never included anything on firebox flicker.
I still would have bought one, flicker or not.
-Lee

WoundedBear

I was just reading the review in NG&SLG.

Bob Brown writes the article and in it he claims that "it ran perfectly right out of the box" and that "the headlight and rear light work as does a firebox light"

We got some confusion somewhere.

Sid

p51

Quote from: WoundedBear on March 11, 2020, 05:29:40 PM
I was just reading the review in NG&SLG.

Bob Brown writes the article and in it he claims that "it ran perfectly right out of the box" and that "the headlight and rear light work as does a firebox light"

We got some confusion somewhere.
Sounds like he wrote the review before he actually had it on a layout.
They're very stiff out of the box, though they do break in well.
I have a review in the newest O Gauge Railroading on these and I was far more honest in my appraisal of them...
-Lee