News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Anachronistic layout?

Started by patriciabrardy, December 23, 2007, 07:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patriciabrardy

Have you ever seen a truly anchronistic layout? I don't mean one that (perhaps accidentally) uses 1950s locomotives and 1920s scenery, but a layout that incorporates dragons and castles, or dinosaurs, or the Eiffel Tower AND the pyramids. I'd love to see a link if something like this exists...

SteamGene

The local NMRA modular group has some modules that are similar - in both time and space.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

John Allen used a stegosaurus...in the forest.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Yukonsam

Hi

The stegosaurus was also used as a switcher. Named Emma, numbered 13, top speed 1 mph and it could pull two freightcars. It never learned to use the ashpit as the story goes in the book "Model Railroading with John Allen" by Linn H. Westcott.  (Kalmbach Books ISBN 0-89024-559-2).

Regards, Yukonsam

SteamGene

I had a friend who has died of cancer who had a unicorn looking at a nuclear power plant going critical.   Other scenes shouldn't be mentioned on a no more than PG-13 site.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

While the Eiffel tower and the pyramids are miles apart, with selective compression we could well have a model railroad including both of them with no anachronism.  They have both existed in the period 1889 to present, which covers the majority of railroading.  Castles are hardly anachronistic - they have existed in Europe for the whole era of railroading.  Dragons are a little harder - what era do they belong to?  Including dragons may well be toying with reality, but you can hardly say they belong to a different era unless you can define what era they belong to.  Dinosaurs are definitely anachronisms, at least if we include them as live creatures.  If we look at them as stationary models, then I can think of a number of real life scenes where you can see very realistic looking dinosaurs and modern trains at the same time.

Maybe we should talk about mythical railroading where the armies of the Norse Gods are traveling by train to meet the armies of Toon Town in the Valley of the Green Giant.  While this is not much done in H0, there is some wild work being done outdoors in large scale.   
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Ken

One small layout I recall was based on the park railway built on top
of StoneHedge, by the Britions. Of course when the Romans arrived
it was destroyed, as the Romans did not want to admit other people
were smarter then them. Though I had photos , but no luck!.
It was well done and had a excellent writeup covering the railway
history and why there is no trace left, of the Worlds first Railway<G>.

Have tried to find on web, but no luck.

Ken
    GWN

glennk28

Pacific Coast Region, NMRA used to have a "Levity Award" in their annual convention contest.  Often things such as you suggest would turn up.  I recall one that had a "Mother Hubbard" loco with a dragon riding in the coal pace of the tender--exhaling into the firebox to generate steam. 

terry2foot

glennk28

I recall seeing this layouit at that convention.  Another, which won the aforementioned PCR Levity Award, was of the Greek railway used in the construction of the Parthenon. Jim Tangney was the culprit on that one.  gj

Paul M.

Anyone really think there was a railroad on top of Stonehenge?

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

taz-of-boyds

Sure, and the operation was rock solid...   :P 
Charles

terry2foot

Another "anachronistic" layout is the Roland Emmett inspired "Far Twittering and Oysterperch" at;-

http://www.warley-mrc.org.uk/far_twittering.htm

Enjoy!

Terry2foot

Bystander

And where can you see the DeWitt Clinton running under catenary? Why on the EErie Railroad,a connecting line through time and space that explains prototypicly all the junk...err...models that I have bought over the years at the Hobby Shop and at Train Shows.And Passenger trains with mixed railroads like a freight train and a Dockside pulling a Dome car. And so on........................ ;D