News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GE ho 70 ton switch engine

Started by bobvsf, March 04, 2020, 02:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobvsf

I have a GE 70 ton switcher DCC on board that quit running. The lights work from front to back and I tried re-setting to factory setting and address 03 is now input as the lights work with this input value.  But it won't move at all.  Can I buy a replacement DCC board?  is there a better/upgraded one avail?
Thanks
Bob

Update_ I got it to run on a DC track and ran it 10 min forward and 10 in reverse.  Then I tied it in DCC mode again; it made some noise but ran. Let it go for about 10 in each direction and now running smoothly.
Odd - because wheels and track were clean.

Update - quit running after 15 min pullin a couple of cars. May need a new decoder

rich1998

Last I knew it had the standard Bachmann decoder specs.
About maybe ten years ago I ripped everything out and converted to DCC with a LokS0ound 3.5 Micro and oval speaker. I kept the two LED lights. Removed all the caps on the motor. They can be a pain with a good decoder.
Ripped out the upper weight and made my own.
Quite a sweet runner.

Sorry, no pics. Photo Bucket issue.
Not an easy conversion.
A fellow in South Africa gave me suggestions.
You might find something online with a Google search but not mine.

Rich

rich1998

Ok. I found a solution with a Google search. A bit of work. Excellent decoder.

https://tcsdcc.com/installation/ho-scale/1244

Good luck. Remove the caps.

Rich

bobvsf

Thanks Rich 1998
I reviewed the photos but am confused, it says to remove the 3 yellow capacitors from the motor put photo shows them remaining in place. Also why is the circuit board replaced?  Even though it is not connected?

rich1998

I do know the caps with the two inductors cause slow running issues with a quality decoder.  Many have reported this issue. Back EMF is affected.

I have pulled all the caps on my Bachmann. The two inductors are zero resistance and not an issue with no caps.

I did not look close. Maybe the person disconnected the wires or done on the other side of the Pond where it is required. I did not look closely..

Rich

rich1998

The issue is called Back EMF. You can Google it.

back emf bachmann caps

Rich