News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steam Locos & EZ Track

Started by Dave T, December 23, 2007, 09:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave T

I have a large investment in EZ track. I change my layout frequently. All of the diesel locos go through crossings and turnouts with no problems. My steamers on the other hand hate the remote and #5 turnouts and crossings. I checked wheel gauge - no problem there. The needle springs in the turn-outs are too flimsey to anchor the points to the rails. The frogs on turnouts and crossings also seem to lift the front trucks of the steamers, causing de-railing.
Anyone have similar problems and/or solutions?
Thanks and Bah-Humbug!!

adari

tommy4u2

Yes I just got a 4-8-2 nw and I am haveing the same problems I have crossovers on my line and it just cant get thru them, If the front trucks don;t come of the track then the tender derails and just like you said all my deisels work fine I removed the front truck on my engine and that helped alot

I read some where on this forum you have to file the frogs down and I have no idea about the weak spring Maybe someone will tell us how to correct it
My Daddy told me along time ago if you cant say something nice to  someone don't say anything at all

tommy4u2

Ok
I just read a entire artical on this subject and the ways to correct the problems follow the link below to read it

http://trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=911

Tom
My Daddy told me along time ago if you cant say something nice to  someone don't say anything at all

sour rails

I don't have much, therefore I don't have much of that problem.  But I've heard others say they added weight to the front trucks and also the front portion of the tender as well.  Hope this works.
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

grumpy

I had similar problem with a 4-8-2 . I found that the turnout  had a slight twist in it which lifted the loco slightly. The problem was solved by fastening the turnout tightly to the base eliminating the twist.
Don

AGRTERP4LIFE

I have had similar problems with the my 2-8-0 and my switches.  I read the link provided by Tom, and it covers many of the issues I have dealt with.  My main two issues have been switch derailments (of which, the front trucks have jumped track) and rough transitions over rail joints.  I also believe that there is a spring issue, because my switches do tend to stray towards the curve after not being changed for a while.  This leads to a derailment in the middle of the train, where the locomotive and tender will go one way and the first car will go off the other.