News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Forney

Started by u3o8geo, March 10, 2020, 11:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

u3o8geo

After getting a very large and wonderful dose of the Maine two-foot Forneys on the Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum yesterday I ordered a Bachmann Spectrum Forney from a large vendor on the East coast. They called to let me know that it was the last one they had in stock and the box was scuffed, but the engine was fine - did I still want it? Of course, the answer I gave was a resounding yes. Now that weather is improving in northwest Nevada I will soon start rebuilding my garden railway [it used to be in the front courtyard of our house, but after some involved negotiations with my wife I have been granted a new and larger location in the back yard].

A few weeks ago Loco Bill made a comment about the increase in the prices for replacement parts for the Big Haulers, wondering if the increases were an indication of decreasing supplies. In watching the web sites of various vendors it would seem that their inventories of locos and cars overall are decreasing.

Speaking of Big Haulers, has anyone removed the factory paint from the Tweetsie 4-6-0? If so, what did you use to remove it? I am thinking of repainting my locomotive into a non-tourist road livery.

Regards,

TED
u3o8geo

DoyleS

Not sure why you would want to try and remove the paint on the Tweetsie.  An airbrush or even a rattle can with primer can completely prime the shell if you disassemble it.  Then you have a clean canvas to work with. 

u3o8geo

My new inside frame Forney arrived yesterday. As I have not started laying track for my new layout I did not try and operate it, but from an appearance perspective the locomotive is exquisite! Very nicely done Mr. Bachmann!!!

TED
u3o8geo 

u3o8geo

Looking at the Parts web page there is no longer any reference to the Spectrum Forney.

TED
u3o8geo

Chastity

Most of the Bachmann spectrum stuff has disappeared.  Most of the C-19s are gone and is out there now much closer to msrp.  The mallet if good is up there and K-27s fetch around us $1000.

Some of tank cars stiil very reasonable, but boxes, gons only pop up now and then.  The long caboose seems to have gone K-27 way.  Easily close to MSRP used.

Think everyone pretty much suspects thst the 1:20.3 line is defunct, kaput, gone from Bachmann.

A certain other msnufacturer well importer of 1:20.3 is going to make a few more of the cleared out models but indicated maybe last runs.

LS just is not as robust as it once was.

Joe Zullo

All this stuff is made in CHINA! You are aware of what is going on with trade between USA and China right?  ::)

Nathan

Bachmann is owned by a company in China.

Nathan

Chastity

Quote from: Joe Zullo on May 20, 2020, 07:17:02 AM
All this stuff is made in CHINA! You are aware of what is going on with trade between USA and China right?  ::)

Not sure whst your point is in regard to Bachmann's lack of 1:20.3.  The plug was pretty much pulled with tje death of Mr. Riley and far before the current trade war and tariffs. 

Market forces more than anything else.  LS especially 1:20.3 has declined.  The later is a niche of a niche market and as older modlerers have gone out of the hobby a lot stuff has hit the secondary. Locomotives such as the K do not as much because they become mantel pieces. 

Another certain manufacturer importer of 1:20.3 plenty of plastic cars ciculating in the secondary market.  Some of the older brass stuff not so much.  Try to find a mason bogie for example.

The spectrum line was well done with some issues which every manufacturer has.  However when they made a model with suggested MSRP of a $1000, and several years later a wholesaler is trying to unload them at $200 it tells you the market is not there.

zubi

Quote from: Chastity on May 18, 2020, 11:24:03 PM

Some of tank cars stiil very reasonable, but boxes, gons only pop up now and then.  The long caboose seems to have gone K-27 way.  Easily close to MSRP used.

Chastity,
The caboose is fantastic. I guess it will go up in price in the future...

A certain other msnufacturer well importer of 1:20.3 is going to make a few more of the cleared out models but indicated maybe last runs.

Could you provide the source of this information?

Best wishes from Indoors, Zubi