Speed controller that comes with Big Haulers

Started by Rluke, March 10, 2020, 08:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rluke

We have a 16 volt, 1 amp transformer and speed controller that came with a Bachmann Big Hauler set.  Would this be capable of running an Aristocraft Engine with a pair of Aristocraft passenger cars for 6 hours?

Thanks

Loco Bill Canelos

H Rluke,

You did not say what locomotive you plan to run. It might work for a while, but only if the locomotive had one motor and pulled less than an amp and the track was flat and just a circle like a set.  Locomotives with dual motors would be a stretch for sure.  If you are going to run a display for 6 hours every day, you will need something more robust.  I definntely recommend a better power supply.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Rluke

Thanks Loco Bill.  The locomotive is an Aristocraft FA with 2 motors.  We had a MRC Trainpower 6200 but it just started to act up so I need to find something to use for a train show this weekend.  I will bring the Bachmann 1 amp along as a backup.

I was just looking at the power pack that comes with it (AC1601000).  It lists the output as 16v AC.  I was expecting DC.  So is there a rectifier in the speed controller that converts the voltage to DC ?

thanks

Loco Bill Canelos

Must be one, good luck at the train show!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Joe Zullo

The rectifier is in the throttle control. You burn up the motors if you try AC power.  ;)

Rluke

I figured that had to be the case since it came with a DC train set.  We actually have 3 of the speed controllers but only one of the odd cables that connect them to the track. They have a 3.5mm plug on one end and some sort of track clip on the other.  Does Bachmann sell a replacement cable?  If not is there another place to at least buy a cable with the 3.5mm plug.  Not even sure what type of plug it is.  (stereo?,Mono?, other?)

Thanks