Question about Bachmann Couplers and coupler Pockets

Started by markosjal, March 11, 2020, 04:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I am making and modifying some boxcars.

As I presently live in Mexico parts are expensive and difficult to find here.

I was reading that some people say for instance that Kadee couplers do not fit into Bachmann pockets unless the coupler is ground down. Then I saw a video on Youtube installing a Kadee coupler into a Bachmann pocket with no filing or grinding. There seems to be conflicting info on this.

In one instance I need a single Horn Hook coupler on a European car as a transition car. I may switch to Kadee or at least that type of coupler at a later time and want to be able to use a Kadee coupler in the same pocket later.

Also I am making some boxcars out of wood and in one case I have a very old boxcar kit from like 1950s .

I am worried if I put the Kadee pockets on them that the Bachmann horn hooks may be too short to fill out the pocket (reverse of problem earlier) and flop around vertically.

I see the Bachmann horn hook couplers for sale everywhere but where can I find the pockets? I need to be able to get a reliable soultion to mexico as I will pay internationsl shipping and importation.

Thanks

Mark

jonathan

Markos,

There is a very, very small difference between sizes of Bachmann and Kadee coupler pockets.

I have put a Bachmann coupler in a Kadee pocket. There is very minimal vertical movement (sag). The coupler will still hold OK.  Other folks may have a different experience.

When I put a Kadee coupler in a Bachman pocket, I use a needle file on the coupler shank.  Just a few swipes on both sides will fix it.  Again, size difference is minimal.  If you don't have a needle file, you can "burnish" the Kadee coupler.  Use a small piece of metal, like a drill bit or something.  Rub both sides of the coupler shank for a while.  The coupler may get shiny as you rub.  That's a good thing.  You should get just enough change so the coupler will move more freely in the Bachmann pocket.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

Also check the coupler pocket lid. If it has a rabbet around the edge, so the center section fits lower into the pocket than the edge, flipping the cover over should create enough room for a Kadee coupler without any filing.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

markosjal

Since I am ordering Bachmann coupler, where do I get a BACHMANN pocket at the same time?

jonathan

Bachmann coupler pockets are an integrated part of the frame on rolling stock and locomotives.  They cannot be sold separately.

Regards,

Jonathan

RAM

Just go with the Kadee coupler with pockets and be done with it.