News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Why is On30 Scale So Expensive?

Started by RailMan63, February 24, 2020, 02:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ton N

start with the roof , it snaps on to the body.

Ton

RailMan63

Thanks,Ton. I figured it out earlier this morning. I couldn't get the roof off, so I opened it from the bottom. The only problem with that was the wires for the light. I couldn't find another way, other than to cut them,and replace the wires after the repaint work and all is done.
The windows turned out to be a simple matter of working a thin Exacto blade under the clear plastic. The glue Bachmann uses for their windows is very weak, so it was easy to remove them without damaging them.
The only thing is that the platform ends, and railings, are glued onto the bottom frame, and they will break if I try to force them. I plan on painting the bottom with a rattle can of black satin. I'll have to mask off the railings, and then possibly use a fine brush to touch up the end caps.
I've got the body and roof prepped for primer and paint.I may try to match the paint scheme on my large scale drovers' caboose for this car,so I may go yellow/black/silver for this using my D&RGW large scale cars as painting models.and then,I'll be buying other cars that I want in either yellow or green factory colors/lettering on Ebay or ??
I may even buy a conversion kit that I found on Ebay that converts a Bachmann On30 combine into a drovers caboose!It looks really cool in the picture. It would require a little refitting of this car, but I think that it would look great on my layout.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BANTA-MODELWORK-PAGOSA-WOOD-COMBINE-CUPOLA-CONVERSION-On30-Unpainted-Kit-BMT2125/362910119337?_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D225074%26meid%3D764513566f024e0aaaa4b159fd6ed67c%26pid%3D100276%26itm%3D362910119337%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2060778%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWeb&_trksid=p2060778.c100276.m3476

Something to at least think about while I've got it apart.
I've also decided to run the 4-6-0 as a dedicated passenger train hauling 3-4 cars ,and I'll be adding a few freight cars for my 2-6-0 . I now have enough EZ Track to run one track inside of another.
So,we'll see.

Ton N

There is a mention about evolving colour schemes in this article.
Interesting to read this.
http://hon3annual.com/blackstone-models-open-platform-coaches-in-hon3/

I replaced the lightbulbs with yellowish LED's
You can remove any paint-job there is on the sides with brake fluid.

Ton

RailMan63

Thanks! Great article. And those cars are beautiful. It definitely gives me a lot to think about. I may have to look into painting these cars in Pullman Green,as matching the Rio Grande Orange-Yellow paint scheme looks like a somewhat difficult thing to do. That, and I'm not a big fan of yellow! LOL!

"The cars wore a number of paint schemes while in service on the D&RGW. Before 1912, they were a rich maroon color with imitation gold leaf lettering and striping, mineral brown roof, black ironwork and "standard" brown trucks. In 1912, the lettering was changed to pure gold leaf and the striping eliminated. One of the USRA mandates from WWI was for railroads to use either coach green or Pullman green on their passenger equipment, and the Rio Grande went with the Pullman green color on the body, clerestory and trucks, with black roof and ironwork and the pure gold leaf lettering in 1918. The gold leaf lettering was changed to yellow paint in 1925."

I definitely like the idea of painting up the passenger cars in a WWI period paint scheme. More authentic to the time period that I would like to create for this ON30 scale train.

J. S. Bach

Quote from: RailMan63 on March 13, 2020, 03:24:47 PM...snip...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BANTA-MODELWORK-PAGOSA-WOOD-COMBINE-CUPOLA-CONVERSION-On30-Unpainted-Kit-BMT2125/362910119337
...snip...
The above part of the ebay link is all that is needed, BTW . The rest is excess bloviation and makes the screen way too wide.
Later Gator,

Dave

"A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money. Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussels sprouts never do." ~P.J. O'Rourke

RailMan63

Sorry. I just post the links as they copy and paste from the address bar of my Firefox browser.