SD-45 Spectrum with DCC slow to respond in DCC

Started by loushowers, March 16, 2020, 01:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loushowers

I have two Bachmann SD-45 EL locomotives that came with DCC w/o sound.  When I run them in DC, they start right up as so as I turn on the power.  However, in DCC, I have to turn the throttle way up before they start to move and then once they start, they continue to accelerate.  For example, in sped step 14, I have to turn it up to 12 before the locomotive begins to move and if I leave it at that level it starts slow and then accelerates until it gets to a normal 12 speed.  I want to use them with a different locomotive I purchased from Bachmann, but it starts right up at 1 or 2 on the throttle and strains as it tries to pull the SD-45s until they eventually start and get up to speed.  Can you tell me what brand of decoder I have and what might be causing the problem?  I do plan to update it to sound.  If it has a decoder with an 8 pin socket, can I just plug in a sound decoder or do I need to get rid of the original decoder to insert a sound decoder?  I'm new to DCC so all the help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Lou

Gearedenginefreak

Did you buy these locomotives new or used?  It sounds like momentum has been programmed into the decoders. That would account for the slow acceleration to what you are calling normal.  That is my best guess. Have you tried a decoder reset?  (Ususlly writing a value of 8 to cv 8 then removing track power for several seconds - that will return the locomotive dcc address to 3 and will reset all the internal parameters to factory defaults - then you can reprogram your locomotive number into the address).
What DCC system are you using? Some are very limited in their capabilities.

Hope that helps,
Tom

loushowers

Hi Tom,

Both locomotives were purchased new.  The one I just took out of the box as I had it for a couple of years and was waiting until I had a DCC system.  I have tried the CV 8 to reset the locomotive but that has not resolved the issue.   I would like to eventually purchase a sound decoder to replace the mobile ones.  Would this resolve the problem?

Lou

bapguy

The Bachmann DCC decoders are not the best in the world. Can you read CV's with your DCC system?If so read CV2 on the loco that starts on step 1. The long time to get up to speed is CV3. CV4 is deceleration or time it takes to stop when throttle is set to zero. Check CV3 and 4 on the other loco. Try and set the SD45's to these values.And what DCC system do you use? If it has a computer interface get one and down load JMRI. It's free and is a big help. You create a roster with all  your locos and save the info. If you have to do a re-sat on decoder, the info is all there. You just hit a button to program all CV's back to the decoder.   Joe

loushowers

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the information.  I am using the MRC Prodigy Advance 2.  It does not appear to have an interface with a computer.  I will try reprogramming the cv2, 3 and 4 to 1 to see if that makes a difference.  I did try to read the values on the decoder but evidently these decoders are not "reader friendly."  I came up with an error message.  I agree that they are probably cheap decoders and replacing them would probably be a good option.  However, with money tight, I am trying to get functionality in the present and upgrade as I can in the future.  On a different note what would recommend as a good interface between computer and decoder (aka programming track)?

Thanks,

Lou

rich1998

The onboard is not very good as I have heard here and other forums. NCE designed a non sound decoder that is very good specifically for Bachmann diesels. Bach-DSL

Below is a sound install but requires some work.

https://tcsdcc.com/installation/ho-scale/666

Rich

bapguy

My friend has the MRC system you have. I use Digitrax. I bought him a Digitrax PR3 to use with a laptop as a stand alone programmer. These can be found  at on line stores.
  https://www.digitrax.com/products/computer-control/pr4/
MRC has one as well: https://www.modelrectifier.com/product-p/0001516.htm
You may have to do a search for this one.
And JMRI: https://www.jmri.org/   
Hope this helps.    Joe

graywolf

Quote from: loushowers on March 18, 2020, 08:35:09 AM
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the information.  I am using the MRC Prodigy Advance 2.  It does not appear to have an interface with a computer.  I will try reprogramming the cv2, 3 and 4 to 1 to see if that makes a difference.  I did try to read the values on the decoder but evidently these decoders are not "reader friendly."  I came up with an error message.  I agree that they are probably cheap decoders and replacing them would probably be a good option.  However, with money tight, I am trying to get functionality in the present and upgrade as I can in the future.  On a different note what would recommend as a good interface between computer and decoder (aka programming track)?

Thanks,

Lou, typically you cannot read the CV values on the Main. You can only read them on the programming track. I use NCE but I would expect that the MRC Prodigy has a feature to use on a programming track. I have a Bachmann GP 38-2 and a 4-6-2 steamer with Bachmann decoders and have no problem reading CV's on the programming track.

bapguy

If you get a computer interface and JMRI go to youtube and search for dccguy. He has several videos on JMRI. He also has a website DCCGUY.COM     Joe

Ton N