News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new guy needs dcc help

Started by okane, March 17, 2020, 12:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okane

I recently purchased 2 new in the box Bachmann GG-1's for $20 each.  Good deal I thought but now having second thoughts.

The box states, "compatible with DC powered layouts."  My 1 track layout is conventional DC power but according the instructions, I will need to purchase a non-analog transformer.  My old mrc works fine for my needs.

I know nothing about DCC except what I read this morning, but I am not about to make major changes my layout and prefer not to buy a digital transformer, whatever that is.  Nor do I want to spend hundreds on decoders, etc.

My questions are:
 1. Can I just put them on the track, power up and run them one at a time, albeit maybe without sounds using my analog computer?  If not what additional equipment do I need to buy and will I still be able to run my DC only locos with it?
2.  If they do run with conventional transformer, will the suffer performance issues.  I don't need to wow anyone, I just want them and my original equipment to run smoothly.
3. I often hear negative comments about Bachmann in general but these seem to be of very good quality.  What say you?

Thanks for any info.

By the way, thte box stat: dcc sound value on board and DCC sound locomotive

jonathan

Okane,

Welcome.

All Bachmann DCC locomotives, when new, will run on both DC (yours) and DCC.  It's called 'dual mode'.  If your locomotives are pre-owned, there is always the possibility that the previous owner turned off the DC function.  If your locomotives are indeed new and unopened, they should run OK on your layout. If your locomotives light up, and make sounds, but do not move, it means someone has turned off the DC mode.  This can be changed, but you will need a DCC savvy person to help you fix that.

You will notice that the locomotives require a lot of throttle, before they respond.  I find sound-value locomotives require about 50% throttle before they light up and start to make sound.  A little more throttle will get them moving.  I have been able to run two sound-value locomotives at the same time, on DC. However, the throttle is up all the way for both of them to be moving at slow to moderate pace.  

The decoders will get warm after running a while.  It's a good idea not to run them for great lengths of time on DC--perhaps 20-30 minutes is a good limit. The decoders should be able to shut down if they get too warm, but I don't like to take that risk.  That's just me.

New locomotives usually require a bit of a break-in period to run smoothly.  Also, make sure your track is very clean. DCC/sound value locomotives are pretty sensitive to dirty track.  A good investment is a track cleaning brick, often called a 'bright-boy'--looks like a rubber eraser, only browner.

That's all I can think of for now.

Regards,

Jonathan

okane

Quote from: jonathan on March 17, 2020, 12:44:04 PM
Okane,

Welcome.

All Bachmann DCC locomotives, when new, will run on both DC (yours) and DCC.  It's called 'dual mode'.  If your locomotives are pre-owned, there is always the possibility that the previous owner turned off the DC function.  If your locomotives are indeed new and unopened, they should run OK on your layout. If your locomotives light up, and make sounds, but do not move, it means someone has turned off the DC mode.  This can be changed, but you will need a DCC savvy person to help you fix that.

You will notice that the locomotives require a lot of throttle, before they respond.  I find sound-value locomotives require about 50% throttle before they light up and start to make sound.  A little more throttle will get them moving.  I have been able to run two sound-value locomotives at the same time, on DC. However, the throttle is up all the way for both of them to be moving at slow to moderate pace. 

The decoders will get warm after running a while.  It's a good idea not to run them for great lengths of time on DC--perhaps 20-30 minutes is a good limit. The decoders should be able to shut down if they get too warm, but I don't like to take that risk.  That's just me.

New locomotives usually require a bit of a break-in period to run smoothly.  Also, make sure your track is very clean. DCC/sound value locomotives are pretty sensitive to dirty track.  A good investment is a track cleaning brick, often called a 'bright-boy'--looks like a rubber eraser, only browner.

Regards,

Jonathan

Quote from: jonathan on March 17, 2020, 12:44:04 PM
Okane,

Welcome.

All Bachmann DCC locomotives, when new, will run on both DC (yours) and DCC.  It's called 'dual mode'.  If your locomotives are pre-owned, there is always the possibility that the previous owner turned off the DC function.  If your locomotives are indeed new and unopened, they should run OK on your layout. If your locomotives light up, and make sounds, but do not move, it means someone has turned off the DC mode.  This can be changed, but you will need a DCC savvy person to help you fix that.

You will notice that the locomotives require a lot of throttle, before they respond.  I find sound-value locomotives require about 50% throttle before they light up and start to make sound.  A little more throttle will get them moving.  I have been able to run two sound-value locomotives at the same time, on DC. However, the throttle is up all the way for both of them to be moving at slow to moderate pace.  

The decoders will get warm after running a while.  It's a good idea not to run them for great lengths of time on DC--perhaps 20-30 minutes is a good limit. The decoders should be able to shut down if they get too warm, but I don't like to take that risk.  That's just me.

New locomotives usually require a bit of a break-in period to run smoothly.  Also, make sure your track is very clean. DCC/sound value locomotives are pretty sensitive to dirty track.  A good investment is a track cleaning brick, often called a 'bright-boy'--looks like a rubber eraser, only browner.

Regards,

Jonathan

Thanks for the info....they are indeed new as he purchased them new and never even opened thete box.  Looks like I got a rea deal, yes?

rich1998

The decoder has a microprocessor that does not wake up until the DC voltages is about five volts, then maybe seven volts for the loco to begin moving. Nature of the Beast. Varies with locos and how many cars behind the loco. Many sound features might not work.
If the loco is used, a previous owner might disable that feature but yours are new.
Get a good DCC system. The EZ Command cannot modify CV's or reset a wonky decoder.
I used the NCE Power Cab at one time.
You got a good deal.
Look up Tony Train's for DCC Controllers for a starter. It can be confusing for new people.

Rich

okane

Quote from: rich1998 on March 17, 2020, 01:28:28 PM
The decoder has a microprocessor that does not wake up until the DC voltages is about five volts, then maybe seven volts for the loco to begin moving. Nature of the Beast. Varies with locos and how many cars behind the loco. Many sound features might not work.
If the loco is used, a previous owner might disable that feature but yours are new.
Get a good DCC system. The EZ Command cannot modify CV's or reset a wonky decoder.
I used the NCE Power Cab at one time.
You got a good deal.
Look up Tony Train's for DCC Controllers for a starter. It can be confusing for new people.

Rich

I'm very uneducated about this topic.  Can you tell me exactly what equipment (good dcc system) I would need.   Am I wrong in thinking all I need do is disconnect my analog transformer, add dcc equipment, and go?

rich1998

Since you are very new you are going to have to use a lot of research.

Here is one expert. There are many online. If you know how to search you can search for DCC systems. Build a bookmark system. I use Google for searching. It will take time. No idea of your finances.
Figure maybe a couple hundred for a starter system new. Your mileage may vary.
I started with a MRC2K, about like a Bachmann EZ Command starter but would only run trains. Could not change CV's. Gave it away. Ok for a few months. Got my feet wet.
You could pick up a EZ Command for maybe fifty on ebay to get your feet wet. It can do sounds on a sound loco. You can program the loco number but not modify CV's. A few here do use it so not a waste.

Digitrax is another system with different prices.
There are other systems.

https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/home/choosing-a-dcc-system/dcc-system-comparisons

Richard

okane

Quote from: rich1998 on March 17, 2020, 02:17:02 PM
Since you are very new you are going to have to use a lot of research.

Here is one expert. There are many online. If you know how to search you can search for DCC systems. Build a bookmark system. I use Google for searching. It will take time. No idea of your finances.
Figure maybe a couple hundred for a starter system new. Your mileage may vary.
I started with a MRC2K, about like a Bachmann EZ Command starter but would only run trains. Could not change CV's. Gave it away. Ok for a few months. Got my feet wet.
You could pick up a EZ Command for maybe fifty on ebay to get your feet wet. It can do sounds on a sound loco. You can program the loco number but not modify CV's. A few here do use it so not a waste.

Digitrax is another system with different prices.
There are other systems.

https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/home/choosing-a-dcc-system/dcc-system-comparisons

Richard

Thanks for the info.....looks a lot more difficult than I thought

Len

A lot of us on the forum use the NCE Power Cab. It's a good entry level system and the add-on throttles are laid out the same as the one that comes with the system. So there's minimal learning curve when expanding.

The Digitrax Zypher is also a good starter system, but add-on throttles are laid out differently than the base system. So there is a bit of adjustment to be made when adding throttles.

There are others, each with it's pros and cons. Like Richard said, a search engine is your friend for finding out more about them. The main thing is to make sure it can program, and read back, CVs besides the loco address. Not all system can.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Nathan

rich1998

Good link I forgot about I have so many.

Rich

Trainman203

I use the entry level NCE power cab on a small layout and the NCE Pro cab on the bigger layout at the other house.  I too started with the EZ command but it's more akin to the train set transformers of old. With it you can't enter the wonderful world of cv's and the ability to select sounds and tweak motor control to get astoundingly slow and smooth operation.  I say get an entry level DCC system capable of cv changing ASAP.  You'll never regret it. Don't let it intimidate you.  We are all here to help you.