News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Stuck at home???

Started by Loco Bill Canelos, March 20, 2020, 10:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

HI all,

Many of you like me may be stuck at home due to the heath crisis.   The wife and I have gone out every day and walked for a few miles to keep our strength.  With most of my activities curtailed I have realized it is a great time to do maintenance on my locomotives and rolling stock.  I have started with my locomotives.   I go over each one checking for missing parts, testing all the functions and doing a lube job. I admit to being somewhat lax on the lubing of my trains during the past season.  I actually have a box labeled "parts that fell off" so I am going thru that as well and making the necessary repairs with priority on m y locomotive fleet.   

I am not neglecting my rolling stock, but am doing the same thing I am doing with my locomotives.  I am cleaning them up, replacing any missing parts, and lubing the journals.  On my cars I usually paint the couplers with a rusty black paint and do the same with truck sideframes as well.  I also paint the sides of my metal wheels for a more realistic look. 

So this all has kept me busy rather than being bored.  Another activity is doing a little train book reading.   

Anyway, I want to wish you, my fellow forum members and you family, a safe path through what comes ahead.  Be safe out there and stay healthy.

All the best,

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chastity

Medical school is keeping me busy right now.  So not much time for trains, but now weather warming I am digging out a couple of live steamers and getting them prepped.  Just a simple elevated loop but watching the mason bogie chug along with steam puffing out is kind of nice. 

mickeykelley

Bill, I think that's a great idea.  I just need someone to handle all things things higher up on the list so I can do things "I want to do". But life moves on and we will eventually see all of this virus stuff in the rear view mirror.

Loco Bill Canelos

I also have the same belief.  After all China is coming out of it and even helping other nations.  To me that is one of the best signs of all.  I try not to pay attention to all the fear and OMG the world is ending folks, but I am taking things seriously and in stride!

Be safe,

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Mark Oles

I am never bored at home. My philosophy is being bored is a choice.

My trains are in constant need of maintenance.  Also, we are building an HO scale railroad (so we can run our Bachmann N&W J. SOrry, so my SON can run HIS J).  I am also doing the following:
- adding Revo to my LGB mogul. Repainting and relettering the same.
- Painting and relttering (cut vinyl with my cricut air 2) of 4 tank cars for my late grandfather's business.
- Adding a new smoke stack to my LGB mikado to replace the one I melted last week.
- Adding a new passing siding to my railroad to allow us to load firepit sticks while not clogging up the mainline.
- Swapping out a decoder in my aristo connie for a sound version
- running a minimum of 5 miles a day, every day. Most days I target 8.5 miles.  Ran a half marathon, just because, last Saturday.
- teach my kids from home
- continue to do my regular job.
- become the best cook this side of the garage door. I made a perfect filet mignon for Easter dinner!
- make sourdough from scratch. Still have to work on that.
- started growing vegetables two weeks ago. three weeks until we plant them outside.
- weed the garden and run trains when it isn't raining.
- read the Harry Potter series with my family.
- Taught the kids to play 'flip cup', an important college game, today.

I am sure we'll have more, but being 'bored' is not allowed here.....

Oh, and somebody needs to start taking care of the dog!!!