News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

synchronizing speed

Started by hackman, March 24, 2020, 09:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackman

I have Bachmann Alco FA2 (A and B ) units and am using an NCE DCC system. I have played with CV settings until I'm blue in the face. I can get them close in speed, but not good enough.
Any advice?

jward

if these have the basic DCC OnBoard decoder there is no min or max speed CV. If this is the case you might want to replace the decoder with something that supports CVs 2, 5 and 6.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

Get the Bach-Dsl from NCE. Made to replace the onboard Bachmann decoder. Google it.

Rich

Trainman203

Put the slightly slower one behind.  You think the prototype ones are all perfectly together?  Think of the steam days, when double headed and triple headed trains had a separate crew in each one.  No notching MU there!  Each steam crew trying not to jerk out a drawbar.  One of the most fun things I've ever done in model railroading is run steam freights with helpers and separate engineers. Gotta communicate! Try it with whistle signals only , like it really was , and appreciate today's MU with air conditioned cabs.  Railroading used to be tough as hell!

rich1998

I did a ABBA set some years ago pulling about forty 40 foot HO cars and a forty foot brass caboose.. It was fun setting up the CV's with my Power Cab. Not too bad a challenge.

Rich

Trainman203

I did several doubleheaded freight trains and at least 2 with a rear end helper cut in right before the caboose.  All steam of course, I never run diesels.  Typically two BLI MacArthurs could take about 40 cars up a 2% on a long curve at the old club,  J Ward's kind of mountain railroad.

That club got evicted and torn down for nothing.  Model railroad clubs typically go in cheap rent places like this one did.  And as soon as a better deal comes along, it's over, like at ours when some idea man came with an idea for a big box store.  Of course the deal fell though and now there's an empty lot where doubleheaded MacArthurs once thundered up the grade.