Normal HO scale Thomas locomotives to DCC

Started by Frankiez1224, March 23, 2020, 07:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankiez1224

Hello everyone! I am new to DCC and plan on purchasing the EZ command system. I like how you can control the functions of the engines, and also things like switches on tracks if you buy the DCC ready ones. My main question today is regarding the Thomas locomotives. Is it possible to install an encoder Into them to make them DCC compatible? If so, can anyone give me a good decoder recommendation? I already own a Thomas and a Henry locomotive and I would hate to not be able to use them on the EZ track with the ez command DCC controller. I appreciate it very much!

jward

There is not alot of room inside these locomotives to install a decoder. I converted Thomas himself to DCC using a Digitrax DZ125 decoder. It was designed for Z scale, but in spite of its small size can easily handle the current draw of Thomas. Wiring it was pretty straight forward. There is a circuit board in Thomas's cab with seperate leads to the motor and wheels. Their colour code did not match the DCC standard, so some came must be taken to make sure you are connecting the right wires to the right leads on the decoder.

That said, when buying a DCC system, carefully consider what you are buying. Not all entry level systems are the same. Some have all the functionality of a full featured system, and can be utilized as components in an expanded system. SOme have limited functionality and are not expandable in any meaningful sort of way. Unfortunately the basic EZ command fits in the latter category.  Do some research. Google is your friend.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

I had a guy install a decoder and sound in a Thomas for me. It cost me $228.00 total and that included the price of the loco.
His name is Scott Horgan and his email is skunksmcparty@gmail.com if you wanted to go that route.
Feel like a Mogul.

Frankiez1224

rich1998

The DZ126 is the replacement for the DZ125 now. The DZ126T has no connector.
I used the DZ 125 some years ago.
Both tiny decoders.

Rich

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.