News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Hauler Plus Item No. 31498 460

Started by JRD5173, March 27, 2020, 01:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD5173

Hey guys I am new here. I just purchased a Eastern Tennessee & Western set for $50 and it came with a Tech II controller, curved track, loco, tender, observation , coach, and 2 combine. I bought this knowing the gears were messed up. After reading on here it is a Version 2 (can move while not running). I would like to get this up and running for my 4 year old for his birthday or Christmas.

I would like to buy a new entire chassis but not sure which one to purchase that will fit my model. I would like one of the ones with metal rods.

Can anyone help? Sorry if this question has been answered before.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi JRD,

Check out this link!:

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30394.msg224039.html#msg224039

After reading it be sure to ask any questions you might have.  Buying a new chassis is still the best bet.  Unfortunately the Bachmann Online store is currently shut down due to the virus

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

JRD5173

Thank you Loco Bill!

I did read your post but I am still somewhat confused. I've also looked at Bachmann's Online Store.

They have several chassis listed. My loco has a smoke stack switch hidden in the front but no directional switch. I use my controller for the direction switch. How will I know which chassis has the metal rods/valves?

Sorry for sounding so stupid.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi JRD,

No need to feel stupid!!  So the chassis you want to look at in the online store will be under "4-6-0 Anniversary Edition".  The Annie Edition are the ones with the metal siderods.  Here is a link to one of them:

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_623&products_id=10478

All of the Anniversary 4-6-0's will have both switches.   Since yours has only the one switch, you can either cut another hole for it in the smoke box, or just set the reversing switch to the position you prefer and leave it inside and just install the smoke switch.  If you have another locomotive be sure to set the switch so this runs in the same direction as your other locomotives.  This switch is different than your direction switch on the power pack.  If you have a second locomotive place it on the track and then place the new locomotive on the track facing the same way.  increase the power, if the locomotives run in the same direction, all is well. if they go in opposite direction flip the switch to the other side before installing the boiler.

I like the one in the link because it has the highly detailed Walchearts valve gear, as opposed to simple Stephenson  valve gear and looks great when in motion.

Hope this helps and  don't be afraid to ask questions.

Bill

JRD5173

Thank you so much! Makes sense now that you explained the switch scenario.

u3o8geo

It would appear from the photo that the level of detail on the Annie chassis is a bit more than on the Big Hauler. Is this a correct observation?

Regards and Happy Easter!

TED
u3o8geo

Loco Bill Canelos

Yes that is true, the
That is correct. The Big Hauler (aka the Standard line)4-6-0 all had plastic valve gear and detail, while the Anniversary Edition 4-6-0 has metal valve gear and metal detail parts.

Bill

big Hauler