Which locomotives are EZ-app compatible?

Started by Markakis2014, November 02, 2023, 02:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markakis2014

Hi all,

I usually model with DC, and not DCC, so apologies for any stupid questions. I will soon be able to be running DCC trains on an N-scale club layout, which is all powered by digitrax. The folks at the club recommended I buy a locomotive that is app-controlled. I like a lot of the Bachmann options, my question is, which ones can be app controlled? The Bachmann website makes it seem like only a very limited number, and that most of the options are not EZ-app compatible. Which seems kind of gimmicky in that case.

For example, if I were to buy this train, an Econami DCC train, would EZ-app work with it? If not, what is used to control it?
https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=265_379_383&products_id=8556

Thank you.

Yard Master

Hi Markakis,

The E-Z App is only compatible with locomotives that are specifically labeled as E-Z App locomotives. It cannot control DCC locomotives.

If you want to control DCC locomotives with an app, you have a few options. Ask your club if their layout is set up with the WiThrottle protocol for JMRI. Once this system is setup, it should be universally compatible using any DCC equipped locomotive, and one of the apps listed on the WiThrottle webpage above.

If your club doesn't have WiThrottle, you can try a Blunami decoder from Soundtraxx. If you replace your decoder with a Blunami, or install it in a DCC Ready locomotive, you can control it with their Blunami app, which is based on the same technology as E-Z App.

Good luck!

jward

Just for clarification, doesn't EZ App operate as an overlay on DCC powered track? You should be able to control an EZ App locomotive via the app independently of the DCC system.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Yard Master

Quote from: jward on November 13, 2023, 07:03:48 PMJust for clarification, doesn't EZ App operate as an overlay on DCC powered track? You should be able to control an EZ App locomotive via the app independently of the DCC system.
Correct, you can still operate E-Z App independently on both an analog or DCC layout. But pure DCC locomotives cannot be controlled with the E-Z App, as Markakis was asking.

GBRR

I have some GE 70 tonners that are dcc but not ez app ready.
Is there an upgrade available??
Thanks

Yard Master

Hi GBRR,

We have some E-Z App boards available in our parts store, however I believe they will be too large to fit on the 70 tonner.

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=722

GBRR

Thank you for letting me know. I found those and agree that they would be to large.
Do you have any idea if the company will/would consider making one.
Appreciate your feedback