News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann PRR 2-8-2 Loud Noise In Reverse

Started by BobZ, March 31, 2020, 12:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobZ

Just started. Engine is about 3 months old. When running forward it sounds fine. When put into reverse there is a fairly load noise coming from the motor/gears. It almost sounds like metal grinding together. Engine has very low usage. Before I return to Bachmann I thought I'd check for possible cause. Thanks for any help you can give.

Also seemed to run a little slower than when it was first put on the layout.

Trainman203

Send it back with your purchase papers. They should replace it for free.  It's in production so a replacement is available. Sounds like you got a Monday (or Friday) engine.  Get a fresh start.  Call them first. Easy and pleasant to deal with.

HoModeler

Before sending in I would pop off the shell & look for the problem a lot of Loco's have plastic gears you might have broken gears. If there metal gears & seem to be OK a little dab of gear lube should stop the noise if your mechanically inclined you should be able to repair the issue yourself. You could save yourself a lot of waiting time if you repair it yourself just order the parts you need & from your manual that came with the Loco you should be OK. I try to repair all my Locos myself because for some reason it takes longer to get the Loco back if I let my LHS do the work or send it into Bachmann.

rich1998

Do not even think about getting to the gears on this almost new loco. Not worth the hassle.
I just looked at the loco diagram and I have some Bachmann steamers.

Rich

Trainman203

If it's almost new and under warranty I would not give even a second thought to "tinkering " with this engine , when you can get a perfect other one just by asking.  Tinkering will destroy your warranty. It's a good thing at times but not this time, in my thinking.  I had one of those MacArthurs that had an issue.  Sent it back without the tender since I'd already done a sound install.  Called first to tell them what I needed and the very polite rep said fine and exactly where and who to send it.  Two weeks later I got a perfect engine-only back.  She's still pulling locals on my branch line.

Syl

I have got same problem with a 2-8-2 soudn value HO.

I applied  grease on the deepest of the cogs, after some time it started to operate normally.

I believe it was not correctly lubricated on the production line....